osteoarthritis

Swimmer

We are seriously considering moving permanently to France. I have been told that I will need joint replacements before too long but I am too young!! Has anyone moved over in this situation and how easy was it to get to a surgeon? were there any problems coming with a pre-existing need? has anyone been offered surgery under 60? Thanks, Sheila

> were there any
>problems coming with a pre-existing
>need?

I am due to enter a French hospital next week for surgery (not for osteoarthritis), and the question of when my condition arose was never raised.

Remember that, in France, you need not be referred to a surgeon by your GP, but may approach any surgeon direct, as I did. It does not mean that he/she will necessarily see you, but in my case it short circuited the procedure.

I wish you all good luck and good health.

My husband arrived here with a knee in poor shape and shortly afterwards it gave up completely. He managed to see two surgeons (paid consultation fees only) and got a swift appointment to have the knee replaced. He is over 60, but there would seem to be no worries about your age, unless the individual surgeon has qualms of some sort, in which case find another. Do ask for local recommendations though. In our case we found that the surgeons who were free immediately for the consultation were not the ones who were in demand, and therefore not the ones whose work was deemed best by the locals. (Obvious, really, but we didn't realise to start with. The best surgeon we found had a 4 week waiting list for appointments for consultation.)
We were told that if his top-up insurance didn't cover the non-state-reimbursed portion of the op, it would cost us the princely sum of 60.....
Hope this is helpful
Chrissie