Operation..more questions

Trixipup

Further to my recent posting re equipment for a knee operation, I wonder if I might backtrack somewhat.

I was given to understand that the surgeon who we saw would be able to perform my surgery at my nearest hospital (which is 40 minutes away) as opposed to the place where I had the consultation (which is 2 1/2 hours away). This is not the case and the confirmation letter states that my operation will be only at his usual hospital. On telephoning his secretary this morning she confirmed that and I can only assume that we misunderstood what he agreed to.

My quandery is this: how does one know that the surgeon that has been recommended is a good one. I have no reason to doubt it, although my neighbour feels she knows someone better! The 'someone' she talks about can perform the operation at our local hospital, but I am full of uncertainty now. How do I know that the surgeon she mentions is any good? Am I creating bigger problems by trying to change at the eleventh hour? Are there such things as league tables and if so can we access them?

Secondly (much smaller thing), I have been asked for a 'carte de groupe sanguin' to bring with me on admission. How do I go about getting one or proving what my blood group is?

Thanks in advance for any help with this, I am getting very worried about what to do

Regards,

Dannie

>Secondly (much smaller thing), I have
>been asked for a 'carte
>de groupe sanguin' to bring
>with me on admission.
>How do I go about
>getting one or proving what
>my blood group is?

See your generaliste and get a prescription for a blood test at a local lab which will then provide the carte. This prescription was given to me when I had a pre-med at our local polyclinique some weeks before the operation; I am surprised you were not given a prescription then. It was for a more detailed test than just for a blood group. I also had a prescription for elastic bandages at the same time.

I cannot help you with your first query. My surgeon was recommended by my generaliste and I saw no reason to doubt his judgement.

ian

If it were me I would only worry about the choice of surgeon if there were strong grounds to believe that first chosen was incompetent.