social security numbers

opas

Has anyone else had a problem with these ? we are British and have done the usual formalities with ease, but our social security no seems to be causing us a few problems,one being that we requested a carte vital at CPAM the other week(dentist/doctors bills soon add up!!)and were told that as our SS no begins with 5 we can`t have one....surely this cant be correct?,

we
>requested a carte vital at
>CPAM the other week(dentist/doctors bills
>soon add up!!)and were told
>that as our SS no
>begins with 5 we can`t
>have one....surely this cant be
>correct?,

Hello
When we had our CPAM cover , due to the E106 , our SS no began with 5 . We were told we couldn't have a carte vitale as this is a temporary number.

When this ran out & we received our new permanent number (which doesn't begin with a 5) we also received our carte vitale.

Tony

I didn't realise that scu numbers could start with anything other than 1 or 2. I had one starting with 2 from the start but it took a few moths to come through and it was quite a long while ago (1986) It sounds like 5 is a tempory number while they get your definitive number sorted out.

As far as I've understood it, your numbers should start with 1 for a man and 2 for a woman (hence the book le deuxieme sexe) then you have birth year and birth month, after there is birth departement (99 for people born abroad) and after your place on the restister for that month, year, departement which gives you the unique part.

Even without a CV, you should be able to get reimbursed through the old fashioned feuille de soin method.

Atleast you have a SS number! I registered with CPAM two months ago but have not yet received any documentation confirming registration or supplying our SS numbers. We registered under a E106 which is valid for two years. My guess is that things do take a while to sort out but is this normal.