Veg Garden/House decorating whilst renting long term?

Elephant

Hello All

We are thinking of renting unfurnished for up to three years before we decide on an area in France to buy and are keen to grow our own vegetables as we do in the UK. We might also like to decorate whilst we are there. Does any one know what general restrictions there are when renting long term? Or is it down to the individual property owner's rental agreement as to what they will allow?

Thank you.

Zoe

Hi Zoe,

I am by no means and expert on this but no one has replied so hope this helps!

It is more usual here to rent long-term (particularly in a rural area) than it is in the UK, so from what I have seen it is accepted that the tenant will adapt the house to suit them. For example, my neigbour rents (an old stone house in a rural area) - her mum rented the house before her, and they have created veggie patches, planted walnut trees, decorated inside, etc... I think this was a fairly run down old house when first rented out and the owner is just happy it is looked after and lived in. If the owner had a beautifully landscaped garden before then it might be different. Similarly, if you were to rent a new property with an empty garden and basic decoration within I think it is the norm to change things to suit you if you will live there for any length of time. If the owner really is against something, they can incorporate it into the contract. We rent out a small house and just write on the inventory 'clean, white walls'. If someone painted them all cream or magnolia or something nondescript and did a reasonable job of it then we wouldn't have a problem at the end of the contract. If they were black, or shocking pink then we would demand a deduction from the deposit to cover the cost of repainting etc, to make it re-rentable.

Just ask the owner if and when you find a property and get it written in the contract if you are concerned (there is a space for this even on the most basic contracts). In my opinion if the interior deco is bearable then live with it and go mad in the garden - you will have so much weeding to do you won't notice the inside paint colour! We bought three years ago and are only just starting the process of ripping out the grecian lady bathroom tiles - it's amazing how long you can live with stuff you initially thought was awful!

Good luck,

Jane

We rent long term and have improved the lawn and dug up some of the grass to make a vegetable plot with no problem.

I agree with Jane that so long as no damage is done you can make changes within reason; but do bear in mind that if it says in your contract that the property must be returned to its original state then that is what you must do or risk losing your 'caution' or deposit.

A good time to discuss such things is either when you sign the rental agreement or when you do the 'état des lieux' inspection with the proprietor when you take over the place.

Sue

Hi Elephant

We rent a few properties long term here in France and the letting agency we use has asked us for agreement if someone wants to paint etc.  We have always said go ahead, we want people to feel comfortable and I think most landlords would be the same.  You should raise it when you find something you like, I'm sure it will not be a problem.

Panda

We have several new houses rented out. We have been asked by the tennants to change the colours of the paint to install sat dishes, put up sun covers, put in a veg patch and install large swimming pools (overground), we have always said go ahead, however, when they leave the properties must be returned to the origional state.

No problems so far after 2 years.

Thank you all...renting would seem to be a good option for us as we rather like the idea of being more flexible while we decide if we want to live in France permanently. It would be so easy to rush and buy because property is more affordable than the UK.

Zoe