Mammograms in Lot - info

Iceni

I have just registered into the French health system via my business. I was immediately called for a mammogram and in the Lot the routine is to call you every 2 years up to about 70 (this is for all women not just for those in business).

In the UK they screwed up on my regular mammograms and called me twice in 9 months. I told them of the error but was told that I had to have the second as it would be 3 years and 9 months before I got another. When the letter from Cahors came in I replied that it would be 2 years this October and they will call me in then. I was given a list of places to go for the mammogram - one being our nearest large town 15 mins away. All this is free.

There is also a regional meeting of women regarding 'Womens Health' locally to which I have been invited. It looks like they will be calling women for routine smear tests also.

I would have gone and arranged a mammogram with my French doctor if this had not come in but I feel a central system pulls in those women who would not normally take that step themselves.

[quote]As far as I know, all women over 50 in France receive letters telling them to go for a mammogram. They brought this in about three years ago I think.[/quote]

Sorry for this, I was under the impression that people had to go and request one.

[quote]As far as I know, all women over 50 in France receive letters telling them to go for a mammogram. They brought this in about three years ago I think.[/quote]

A letter dropped into my mailbox last year informing me that if I wanted a mammograph I should make an appointment at my nearest unit. When I finally tried to arrange a day all the times available had been taken.

Nearly three months later, today in fact, I attended the radiologie unit for the mammographie. There is a charge of 41.58 euros but I should be re-imbursed for 70% of this amount.

They were extremely thorough and without going into details examined me for over an hour. They were able to get an instantaneous result and ended finally with 'c'est pas grave.' My understanding is that I will be sent the x-rays which should be presented next time.

My husband and I have also undergone free colon tests which were offered to anyone in departement 16.

I haven't been informed of regular smear tests but will inquire from the doctor what their policy is regarding this procedure.

[quote]They were able to get an instantaneous result Personally I find this so very reassuring but is it always the case in France? And what happens in Britain? M[/quote]

Cannot say catergorically that it is always the case. However a friend of mine received similar treatment at another unit. Both in dept 16.

What is a huge plus is that one receives the x-ray to keep, making it much easier on another visit to present it there and then. An instant visual record.