Having a baby!

fairbie

Congratulations.

A birth has to be registered with the Mairie in the commune where the child is born within three days of the birth, go onto the link below as timing is everything. I would imagine that the Mairie usually sends someone into the maternity units to do this, if by chance they don't then someone will have to go in and see them.  

http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/particuliers/F961.xhtml

If neither parent is french, then there is no Livret de Famille.

Then just contact the consulate to register with them, I think you have several months to do this, and it is probably on their web page anyway. They will tell you what they need to do to register, and they will need the 'slip' of paper that the Mairie gives you. I haven't called it a birth certificate as it isn't and is only valid about three months at a time.

ps

I have always been told that if the baby isn't registered with the Mairie within the time delay then the Mairie give the baby the saint's name of the day it is born. That is why everyone always has name's chosen here before the birth.

I gave birth in CHU in Limoges 10 months ago now *how time flies* and everything was done when I was in early labour, the midwifes filled in all the forms, our date and place of birth, occupation and asked had we chosen a name etc etc, we knew the sex so we'd picked his name and then when he was born they just added his time of birth. Then when we checked out of the hospital 5 days later we went to the mairie in limoges with our birth and marriage certificates, I think also our passports, CDS and I remember hubby taking an EDF bill just in case and he came out with Jacques birth certificate paperwork.

If your giving birth in a clinic or hospital they do the paperwork for you, if your giving birth at home you must go within 2 days I think it is, unless its a weekend and the doctor/midwife who does the delivery gives you paperwork to take with you

HTH

Pippa

Jacques arrived exactly on time, 40 weeks to the day, mind you as hubby was working in UK and I was on a dirty weekend away to see him, I KNOW when I conceived to the very day, its only because france use 41 weeks as gestation that their records say he was early :o)