Doppler arterial des membres inferieurs

salamander

Does anyone have info on this - I know it's not the common cold, it's to do with the arteries in the lower body.

Added to this is 'echographie aortique' (think that's what it says but it's in handwriting rather than typescript).

The GP told us the condition is 100% covered by french health system.  I told him we had a complementaire with Groupama but this seemed irrelevant.  I think the point he was making was it's 100% covered so 100% serious.

I've found this on the list of conditions with 100% cover: 

Artériopathies chroniques avec manifestations ischémiques. 

Is this the appropriate one? 
We've been told to get the 'doppler' + blood tests done asap.  + my husband must walk 5 kms each day.

This is where 'je me debrouille bien' is as much good as a chocolate teapot and I'm scared.  How worried should I be?

Hi

I had to have this test once, when I fell rather badly from a table and had some very nasty bruises. The doctor wanted to find out what I'd done. The doppler echography enables them to distinguish between blood clots, free flowing veins/arteries and muscle tissue as far as I know.

I'm not a doctor, but reading between the lines, it sounds as if they are wondering abour phlebitis - where a blood clot in the lower limbs can come loose and wander about the body, possibly cause deep probs in heart or lungs.

The french for this is "Phlébite" afaik.

The tests are non invasive and painless. Get them done ASAP, certainly and also make sure he DOES walk. When he/you goes to the clinic, make sure you either take a French speaker with you, or check that they have someone who speaks enough English to explain what is wrong and what should be done. My experience is that you get the repart as soon as the test is completed.

It could be due to PVD, peripheral vascular disease.  If your husband is a smoker and/or sedentary then claudication of the arteries particularly in the legs, can occur.  The fact that he is being asked to walk 5 Kms per day may indicate this.  Walking daily, particularly at a brisk pace, induces the blood supply in the legs to open up other vessels, which can alleviate the problem.

My husband had continual pins and needles in his left arm and hand and was sent for a Doppler test to make sure all the arteries were flowing and clear. I realise it isn't quite the same as the details given.It was just a series of electrical attachments recording the flow and proved nothing was wrong apart from getting older and the onset of a bit of arthritis in the shoulder and neck. This was not free although we did get it reimbursed on our health insurance. You should be grateful your husband is getting such good treatment here in France, god knows how long he would have had to wait,if such treatment is readily available in the UK for an appointment. Hope he feels a lot better soon and yes,daily walking is an excellent way to keep the blood flowing in the legs and I can never understood all those people who pooh pooh that fact and then end up moaning because they have aching limbs from sitting in front of the TV all day.

Thanks very much for your responses.  My husband was a smoker but by no means sedentary and it seems the problem is peripheral vasular disease as suggested.  He's now had the Doppler test (an ultrasound scan, also called doppler test in English) but to establish the extent of the damage, an MRI scan is required which will take place in 10 days.  Only then will we know prognosis and treatment.  In the meantime, we keep up the walking regime.  The english speaking doctor who explained the result of the Doppler will be responsible for the next scan too.  I'm hugely relieved to know that.  We both appreciate the speed at which things are happening.

Yes, a blood test was ordered at the same time and blood pressure had already been taken by the GP.  Both were OK.

I'm managing to find lots of info on the internet now that I know what to look for.

All this is because of smoking.  My husband has no other risk factors apart from his age.  If anyone reads this who is a smoker, please stop.  You might think you just can't do it but you can. 

Thanks again.