Seeing the GYN every 6 months now !

Lori

I saw my GYN in Avignon in April, 2005.  After discussing a particular issue, he and I forgot my annual birth control prescription.  I called a couple of days later and he sent me a prescription in the mail.  Howver, it was only for 6 months.  I thought it was odd, but figured I'd call when the last month was approaching.  Did that today and was informed that GYN's can no longer write 12 month birth control prescriptions.  I have been seeing this doctor for 4 years now - annual exam and the odd illness.  He has always given me a prescription for 12 months of birth control pills at each annual visit.

The nurse said that there was a change in procedure - governmental health athority and now I must see him twice a year.  It isn't the end of the world and the charge is only 45 euros per visit/exam (far cry from the 250 dollars I paid in the U.S.), but still, I don't fully understand this.

Has anyone else encountered this issue?

I do plan to ask my doctor on 14, Oct. when I have an appt., but thought someone else might have a clue as to what this is all about.  Is it to further protect women's health??  It certainly couldn't be to line the pockets of the Dr.'s could it??

I only ever had 6 months worth at a time in the UK. The reason is that your blood pressure needs to be checked every 6 months when on the pill; they also should ask about other possible side effects and risk factors at each visit.

Why not get your GP to prescribe the pill, then it would only be 20 euros a visit?

Jo

Thanks for the replies.  I guess I just found it odd as for the previous 3 years, he has given me a 12 month prescription...

About 5 years ago, I had a suspicious smear, so now I have been advised to always see a GYN for my annual checks.  I don't really mind paying the 45 Euros.  It isn't that so much as having to drive all the way down to the Clinique for another check-up when I never had to before.

Also, when I discussed my GYN with my GP, here in Bedoin.  He said that he always recommends his female patients see a GYN for the checks.  He doesn't even have the equipment in his office for the smears.