No health cover

Gay and happyPaul

I take it then you have also forgotten to inform the tax people that you have been here for two years?

If you have a taxable income from the UK and have P60's there should not be a big problem. Take them to your local CPAM office and they will charge you around 2,000€ per year to  join and get 70% cover. You then need to get a topup insurance for the other 30% which for a good one will cost arounf 1,000€ pa for the both of you. There is probably no point in applying for a E106 which would have cost you nothing because you have been away for 2 years, would have saved yourself around €4k if you had one. Of course if you are at or over retirement age yo can get a E121 which will get you in for nothing as a pensioner.

I take it then you have also forgotten to inform the tax people that you have been here for two years?

LOL, Quillan, maybe he just means he doesn't have a Carte Vitale?   Although French people would find it a difficult concept, it is possible to go for 2 years without going to the doctor.

Paul, I'm sure you do have health cover of some sort.  If you went to the doctor today, got a feuille de soins and sent it off to your local CPAM, would you not be reimbursed? 

You do need to get it all regularised tho.  So paperwork to CPAM to get a Carte Vitale, and then find yourself a mutuelle (the private top-up insurance that Quillan mentioned, and yes, it will cost you quite a bit every month).

SB, you hit the nail on the head with your comment about French people find it incredible that someone may have not visited the doctor for 2 years!

I recently went for my first visit to the doctor  (been here just over 2 years) it was August so our doctor, who I have met , as I have taken the children,was on holls so it was a locum.

I am sure she thought I was mad or didn`t speak good French when I stated that I wouldn`t be on her computer because I hadn`t been treated in France before, she also repeated to our 7 year old to translate (not needed) as she also seemed amazed that I take no medication and have never been hospitalised (apart from childbirth).

Mrs O