Missed opportunity for health care?

My partner and I came to France full time over 2 years ago. Stupidly we did not inform either the UK or French Health Authorities. 2 years later we try signing up to the French system. They refuse to take us as we do not have the correct UK health certificates. The UK refuse to issue said certificates as we have been out of the country for more than 2 years. We are in a Catch 22 (of our own making).

One suggestion is that we return to the UK, sign up with my parents doctor using their address, obtain the correct UK certificates and return to France. I do not believe this is the correct way to do things.

Is there a correct solution?

Many thanks

Steve

You say that "They refused to take us as we do not have the correct UK health certificates" 

A lot depends on what you are doing here, if you have retired or working.

If you are not working, on early retirement for example, and you were trying to get "free" cover under an E 106 what you have been told would be true, but it would not stop you from registering and paying into the French Health care system, in fact you are legally obliged to join the system if you are resident here (snd you are resident here). 

Entitlement to join the French healthcare system has nothing to do with being registered with a UK doctor, what has been suggested to you is a waste of time.  To get exemption from paying into the French Healthcare system for up to 2 years, you have to have paid full UK National Insurance for the last three years, If either of you has paid NI in the UK in the last three years get in touch with the DWP in Newcastle to see if you have any entitlement to an E form. Also have a look at the  FAQ section above on Health.

No it still would not be the right way to do things and you would still have to get an E form from Newcastle anyway.

You need to take the letter from the UK stating that they refuse to give you an E form to your Caisse de Maladie and they will then take you on. If you aren't working etc, they usually want around 8% your revenue.

As TU says, you need to be very specific and  ask Newcastle to send you a letter of refusal for an E form it's the normal procedure for everyone resident here, when for example  an E106 expires and you then need to register under the French criteria, CPAM will accept the letter of refusal from Newcastle and then take you on their books, it's just the way it as to be done.