Insect bites

MichaelH

My wife and I moved to the Vienne in April. Since then we have suffered many insect bites, me especially. I do not know what the bites are from and would appreciate suggestions. They are just like mosquito bites, pink raised and very itchy for several days, but we have never seen the insect biting us. The bites appear at sites all over the body but are more often seen on the ankles, legs, groin, neck and armpits. (never on the face). After a day of trimming overhanging oak trees I had over 200 bites. I have read the forum entries about Aouta mites but they seem quite different. When I take the dog for a walk in the field (short grass) I quite often get three or four. I have sat watching my bare legs waiting to tempt the culprit and still never seen anything. We don't get bitten if sitting around the pool (except occasionally by horseflies). Close inspection and frequent washing of bedlinen has been of no help. I would really appreciate constructive suggestions.

Chiggers, harvest mites, aoûtats, they're all the same thing, or not, depending on which source you believe  Most agree though that if not exactly the same, they are very closely related, and are classified as trombiculid species Neotrombicula autumnalis.

This is a french web page about aoûtats http://www.aspivenin.com/french/ani_aoutat.html

and this is the same entry in english      http://www.aspivenin.com/english/ani_aoutat.html

Whatever you choose to call them, they are still biting here in France in October, and my french friends are telling me that it is unusual so late in the year, apparently we need a good cold snap to finish them off.

I've not managed to find a way of avoiding being bitten, it's all very well to say that we should stay well covered and not sit on the grass, but what are we supposed to do in the heat of summer, stay safely locked in our houses?

Thanks to the forum member for their responses.

I think the chigger/harvest mite/aouta sites in the US deal with slightly different species and therefore the descriptions of the bite swelling and colour of the mite may be slightly different.

Yes I think this is the culprit. It is worrying trying to not bring them into the house as they are too small to see, at least with the standard of my eyes. I have found what may be the adult stages of the mite after brushing a jam jar over the grass and inspecting with a magnifying glass. I have worried about the effect on the cats and the dog but they don't seem to be affected but they have been treated every month with Frontline against ticks so maybe they have been kept free of the chiggers by the same treatment. Should we consider treating ourselves with Frontline? I have kept the grass in the garden and field very short but it does not seem to have slowed them down and the worst bites I suffered were when working high off the ground on a ladder lopping oak trees, so I think they must have been up the trees amongst the leaves.

Is the answer an industrial strength flame thrower or maybe the US has a little spare ex-WD napalm? That is what it makes you feel like using. Despite the misery they have caused I feel fortunate not to have had an allergic reaction as some people have had and ended up in hospital.

Hopefully we should be coming to the end of the worst part of the season for insect bites. It's such a common problem. Personally I find that covering up, even in hot weather, does prevent bites to some extent. ie long sleeves, trousers tucked into boots etc. Also on coming back into the house shower and change underclothes. Pat.

I find that taking one Boot's Allergy Relief tablet (chlorpheniramine) every morning during the summer not only keeps my hayfever at bay, it also stops insect bites swelling up and itching. You still get bitten, but you don't notice it!

This is only a quarter of the recommended dose and it's not enough to make me drowsy.

Roger.

• 2 weeks later...