asthma

Katieb

My 5 year old daughter suffers from chronic asthma and i am now running low on her inhalers (3 types) issued in the UK. Obviously we will visit our doctor for a repeat but i am just wondering how asthma is treated/monitored in France?

In the UK she had regular check ups (every 9 months) at hospital to monitor her general health, weight,height and asthma attacks - would these checks occur in France in hospital or with the doctor or is it down to us to arrange a check up appointment?

Do doctors here issue repeat prescriptions for such illensses or again do we make an appointment as when the inhalers are required?

I have just read on previous posts that asthma inhalers are available over the counter at pharmacies - would it not be more suitable to consult the GP and ensure she is receiving the correct dose etc?

Finally,  i am right in thinking prescriptions for under16yrs olds are to be paid for unlike UK?

Thanks you for any helpful info.

Kate

Katie, you have me in a right old quandry here, have you seen a GP in France yet with your daughter to discuss her Asthma?

My late mum suffered with this illness all her life, and to watch her sometimes was really frightening , we never went anywhere without knowing where the A& E was,

Please go and seek some advice .Don`t leave it tll the last minute to get more supplies.

Yes under 16s do have to pay for their medications though some are reimbured at 100% depending on the illness

mrs o

Hi Kate

I think that I might have been the one to post that asthma inhalers are available over the counter in France. In light of recent experiences, that might have been misleading. We have certainly bought them over the counter but have had problems trying to do so at other pharmacies. I was told on my last visit that you can only do so if they have proof that you have already been prescribed them.eg old prescription or empty inhaler. I think now that it depends on individual pharmacies.

I am classed as cronic asthmatic and this is what happens to me.

Repeat prescriptions, which are rated 100% refundable, are issued for three months at a time. You can't get three months worth of drugs in one hit, you have to get them every month untill the prescription runs out. Each time I get a repeat prescription I get a thorough 'service' by my doctor and I visit the hospital every year.

I have bought extra ventolin inhalers but only at my normal chemist where I take my prescription, they cost 5,10€ for a ventolin and 56€ for a becatide 250 although I have never bought the latter. I have never been able to get an inhaler from any other chemist by asking or by showing my used one only by 'cashing' my prescription.

So as an adult in France I am better off because my prescription costs nothing. You may also be eligable for a parking badge if your child is really bad. It was suggested I applied for one by my doctor but I don't think I am that bad (I walk 5km evey day with my dog) and there are others in more need than I.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your concern Mrs O - you are right in thinking we have not contacted the Doctor re my daughter's condition, but i haven't completely ran out of inhalers yet - i am down to one new one of each type, i always like to have one spare one in the cabinet plus emergency ones in the car/bag etc. I am concerned though how her progress and condition is monitored here but i think Quillan has given me some helpful advise.

I will be consulting the doctor (who's surgery is opposite our house fortunately) for a prescription this week.

Reply directed at Quillan. I used to have lots of problems with my Asthma, particularly as I worked ,mostly, on building sites.Although 1 week off work in about 45 yrs isn't bad. I used to get through Ventolin inhalers like cups of tea BUT a doctor prescribed Seritide inhalers about 4 yrs ago and virtually changed my life overnight. One puff in the morning and no problems even doing hard physical work. The NHS doc's don't like prescribing them as they are quite expensive, in my case cheaper than all the Ventolins I was puffing. DON'T try without asking your doc. about them but may well be worth a mention.

Regards. Nr.St.Malo.