Bad Back - Am I doing the right thing in moving? PLEASE HELP!

ali-cat

My husband & I are planning to move to Charente or Charente Maritime we have both been medically retired. The weather, fresh food & general change of lifestyle have been appealing for a number of years now.

I suffer from Degenerative Disc Disease & find the weather in Northern Ireland to cold & wet (all year) and only during warm(ish) weather do I get any relief. (I ended up in A&E on New Years Eve & have just been put on 20mg Diazepam a day, so if I am rambleing or making terrible spelling mistakes - please excuse me!! )

Does anyone have any similar back problems or health complaints that have been helped by their move or is warm/hot weather not a good idea? I don't expect any doctors or professional medical advice - but would really appreciate any stories or suggestions of how your health problems may have changed.

The thought of not moving would break my heart as it's the only thing keeping me going at the moment - but I don't want to be making the biggest mistake of my life. I know it's really cold over there at the moment - but the spring, summer & autumn, I believe, would work wonders for me.

Please reply with any suggestion, or let me know if you, or anyone you know, has a bad back & how they found their move.

Thank you, & Happy New Year.

Ali.

Dear Ali

Obviously I cannot give any medical advice, but as a sufferer from arthritis, brought on by the damp and cold, I have discovered a vast improvement in warm, dry conditions.

Would agree with other suggestions of try before you buy as areas vary so much.

Good luck

Wendy

From a french perspective, charente is not seen as dry nor really warm

! I was there for Christmas and I found it cold and wet. But I leave in

Montpellier (Hérault) and British or Irish people may have a diferent

view. In my place it is dry when cold and warm when wet ... but it can

be really cold (-10°C at night) OR really wet (200 mm/sqm/day =

floodings).

If money is not an issue, I would rather advise the Pays basque, the Roussillon or the Cote d'azur.

Hope this helps