Any Type 2 diabetics?

Squirrel

Not that I live in France currently, but I have just found out I am type 2 diabetic. If we went to live in France, do you know the sort of costs that might be involved in managing my condition? I currently take METFORMIN 500mg 3 times a day. Would it be reimbursed 65% or less? And would top up insurance refuse to cover pre=existing conditions? If I had to pay part of the cost out of pocket, are prescriptions meds expensive in France? (I know my antidepressants cost £50 a box but of course I don't pay anything in the UK because of medical exemption for the diabetes, but I was only paying £6.50 every 2 months anyway). Do they do anything similar to the UK's £93 prepayment certificate in France that would cover all meds for a year?

Sorry about all the questions!

I am in the French system and last year the doctor tested me and the results were positive .The doctor wrote a letter to CPAM and i am now covered 100%. I pay the doctor for the visit but this is credited back to me in full and i don’t pay a euro for my tablets, i sometimes end up having to pay for the blood test but once again i get the full 100% back. I also am on high blood pressure and these are also cover 100%, before i did have to pay for these and claim the difference back from the insurance

I currently also take METFORMIN but 1000mg 3 times.

CPAM insist that i have a flu jab once a year.

Any other medication that i need provided it is related to my condition then i don’t pay, if it not related then my top up insurance covers me. Not sure if your other tablets would be covered or not to be honest

Thanks that is good news (I have high blood pressure too). So it's kind of like the UK where you don't pay anything for the meds. If I had to pay 35% for just the antidepressants it wouldn't be too bad. Thanks for replying. Oh they recommend a flu jab every year here in the UK too (and pnemonia).

Humm another thought... think if when I'm tested next month the 500mg haven't done the trick I will ask the doc for 1000mg. He did talk about other medication too...

The definition for your condition is 'ALD' (Affection de Longue Duree): other than that, only one thing to add to what Alan has said. If you do come over, try to get well stocked up with medication beforehand. Getting to your new GP over here may not be your very 1st act, then CPAM have to authorise it ......... can take a little while. Your UK GP will probably prescribe sympathetically.