CPAM Again

Poppy

What about this one. Have been on my husband's CARTE VITALE for a few years. Originally I only produced a shortened version of my  birth certificate. CPAM have sent several reminders to see a full birth certificate to confirm parents surname. After the last reminder and based on recent horror stories re English being refused I decided to get a copy of full cert. This was sent to CPAM but there is an error on original, my  christian name is spelt incorrectly this is crossed through and the correct spelling entered beneath.

CPAM have now refused me cover on my husbands CV as they state this name alteration means I am not married. Honestly I have this in writing. They have also refused me a CV in my own name stating I dont exist.. I have existed for 57 years and been married 36 years and paying tax in France for 16 years, if it wasn't so serious I would laugh.

Jan

Non Existant in the Lot

What I would do is contact the registry people in the UK and try and get a copy that hasn't got an error on it.

I would also contact the british consulate and ask them if there is any sort of attestion they can give you***  to say that you are who you are and are married legally to your husband.

***Sorry I am using the term 'give' lightly, as you will probably have to pay quite a bit for this if they can issue one.

Many thanks for your reply Teamedup. I have emailed faxed etc the registry people but didnt think about the British Consulate. After all last two passports have been issued by them.

Severity of situation is starting to sink in., I have no health cover. Hope I dont have a heart attack with the worry. If it hasnt been cancelled even the E111 has been issued in France for use outside France..

Perhaps I better hop on a Ryanair flight to the UK tonight..

On the lighter side if I dont exist I shouldnt pay any tax , tax d'hab, CSG etc etc.

Jan

I wish about that lighter side....... now wouldn't that be lovely, I could dream about that, even though I am not much of a dreamer. Bet they have a catch 22 in France though, so for all you don't exist, you really do, only it is up to you to prove it or else you don't, but you do.

The consulate do issue certain documentation about proof of things, last time we had to send them some of our original paper work and then they issued a form stating the proof required which cost £40 or €40 I can't remember now.  The french simply would not accept the paper work we had which was perfectly valid and legal both in the UK and internationally as far as I could see. For me it was a waste of money due to bloody mindedness.

Is it your birth certificate or your marriage that is being contested?  Because if CPAM were contesting that you were married,  all you had to do was produce your marriage certificate.  Income tax, tax d'hab and fonciere has nothing to do with CPAM and the health system,  non-residents pay the last two, so paying those does not entitle you to healthcare as you well know.

Sorry to say this, Jan,  but I suspect there may be an element of CPAM getting funny witth you and stopping your cover because you ignored their requests for documents, why did you do this?  By asking for a CV in your own name you seem to have compounded the problem and confirmed to them that you are not married, why did you do this and not just do as they asked you? 

It would seem to me that they may be taking this action to get you to do what they asked you to do and you may have brought this trouble on yourself.  However, it does seem a cheek if you have been paying into the French health system for 14? years for them to stop cover (or are you on base CMU or get cover through an E 121?)  If you are paying in then take that issue up with them as to why your credentials were good enough for entry to the CMU but not for a joint Carte vitale, and,  if you are on an E121, then your costs are paid from the UK, so that should not affect CPAM.  It sems to me that you have bridges to mend with CPAM and need to do what they ask you in future.

Hello Ron

Just to clarify we have had a joint CV for several years in my husbands name. This was issued on production of marriage certificate and a shortened copy of my birth certificate which shows correct spelling of my christian name and which I have used since 1960.  At the time they said this was fine unless I wanted a CV in my own name which obviously wasn't necessary.  However a couple of times  CPAM contact  us for copy of full birth cert showing parents name;   Due to horror stories re English being refused and always doing the right thing we decided to get a full cert and CV has now been cancelled after I have submitted full birth cert. I should have left well alone. We have alway.s until now had a good relationship with CPAM. It was only after they had cancelled me on my husbands CV that they also stated I couldnt have one in my own right as I do not exist due to the spelling of my christian name.

The shortened version of the birth cert shows the correct spelling of my christian name which matches with the marriage cert however the full version has a crossing out which CPAM  states marriage and birth certs don't agree which means I am not married and do not exist..Honestly I do have this is writing from them. Shortened version was used to marry in UK obtain numerous passports, purchase house in France obtain French marriage licence for Communate Universalle. Think I should lose full version, have just realised fathers surname is spelt incorrectly. My father doesnt exist now!!! Wish this was a wind up but can assure everyone it is not.

I was only joking re income tax etc, trying to look on the brighter side. If I dont have a heart attack overnight. We have always paid our way in UK & France many times over the odds and done the right thing and look where it has got us. Paid for private health cover in France although it was only choice and beyond our means until it was deemed illegal  etc etc.Time to go to Spain. Sorry only joking again, its either joke or hit the bottle.

Jan

Obviously things had changed in the 11 years between us moving to France and you getting here. We HAD to have all our certificates officially translated from full certificates and then the CPAM and everyman and his dog got copies of them. It was very expensive at the time, but we have had no hassle since, so maybe on reflection it was worth it. When I wanted a CV in my own name I just phoned and they sent one through quite quickly.

I really don't know what would happen if you were to take ill.

I think that you need to contact the consulate quickly on Monday and see what can be done.  I don't know whether this number is still OK as it was 3-four years ago when I needed it. It is/was  the consulate's Enquiry Point  0144513107 and there used to be a Mrs Dennis who was in that section, I think that is her name, who was more than helpful....... but it was some time ago.

I had a thought Jan[I], rare I know but may be worthwhile.  If you have been here for some time you would have had to have a Carte de Sejour, right?  That was issued after production of the same information as CPAM are asking for, I know it does not necessarily work like that here CPAM accepting a document authorised by the Pefecture, and they may insist on a new correct birth certificate but it may be worth taking it in to CPAM and trying to get back into the system, while you/they sought out the technicalities. It does strike me that you have hit a real jobsworth here. and it might be woth asking to see a supervisor.  Are they still making you pay to URSSAF while you don't exist

Many thanks Teamedup for the consulate number will give them a call on Monday. Why do these things always happen at weekends?

We arrived in France in 1990 and were informed we had to have an Indentity Card and Private Health Insurance. We immediately got these and goodness knows what else with the blunt needle for the medical (charged to us) for the Carte de Sejour (charged to us). When Private Health was termed illegal we went to the CPAM declared everything, It was accepted no question and no problem re translation. A couple of times since then we have had a request for a full birth cert in my name.In order to comply we requested a cert from registry in UK and problems have occurred since then. The full cert has my christian name spelt incorrectly crossed out and the correct spelling inserted underneath. As a result according to CPAM I am not married or exist and do not have any health cover. I am seriously considering destroying full cert as fathers name is also splet incorrectly which french authorities havent pick up yet.

Jan

God willing no health problems in next few week

Hello Ron

Sorry I appear to have been writing as you have been posting. Many thanks for your info hope your questions have been answered in my previous posting.We have always tried to pay our way and comply with legislation and will try and sort things out with CPAM on Monday. 

Hope No Heat Attack This Weekend

Jan

Have managed to get CV reinstated on basis that I obtain a birth certificate without any alterations. Registry in UK have stated this is impossible as the original entry shows the crossing out.  Have explained this to CPAM but just got the shrug. Hope I can put them off for the rest of my life.

Jan

Lost in the Lot

I wondered if that was the case, because it says on copy certificates

'Certified to be a true copy of an entry in the certified copy of a register of.............................'

Sometimes copies are actually copies and sometimes they are rewritten, I guess whoever produced your shortened form rewrote it (because it was a shortened form) and corrected the error.

Glad its sorted!

Edit - sorry - if its not 100% sorted could a notary help by confirming that you are who you say ?

Thanks Gay.

I have emailed UK Registry to see if they can send info about incorrect original entry on official letter head. They have been very helpful so far after I explained urgency of situation.

It just goes to show what can go wrong in a second. It was a worrying few days knowing we didnt have any health cover. I remember a few years ago when other half was taken seriously ill, they wouldnt put him in the ambulance until I proved we had health cover.

Jan

[quote user="Mikejan"]

Hello Ron

.We have always tried to pay our way and comply with legislation and will try and sort things out with CPAM on Monday. 

Hope No Heat Attack This Weekend

Jan

[/quote]

Jan I am glad you have nearly cleared this up, but just clarify, I was not suggesting that you did not pay your way, merely that if you are paying into the French system as many do, this would be ammunition to use against CPAM's  stance on the basis that your ID was good enough when it suited them and to contribute against but not to receive the benefits.

Its OK Ron I knew what you meant. By saying we have always paid our way etc I was just trying to emphasise that everything was above board. We have no idea why CPAM suddenly took this attitude.

Good news however, received an email today from Registry UK. In the circs they will issue a handwritten certificate without the crossing out. I cant sing their praises enough.

Jan

Thanks for the reminder. Unfortunately fathers name is another story. Keeping everything crossed that it is not picked up yet, or I don't exist again.. I am trying to take it one step at a time.  Problem is I have to prove who my father was [8-)]. Spelling error on birth cert was never corrected.

Spelling is correct on marriage cert which CPAM have a copy of but this doesn't match with spelling on birth cert and similarly original entry in UK registry. Will try and use shortened version of certificate in future it has worked for 46 years until now. Don't know what happened to the original, didnt they all do well at the registration [:$]

Jan