first time at dentist

londoneye

Have not yet needed doctor yet, but did go to dentist not so long ago.     Have carte vitale and also top up insurance.     Dentist did not request any payment.   Not sure whether he is saving the bill for next visit (would seem a little trusting on his part if this is the case ) or if the payment is claimed by him.

sorry to ask what seems a really stupid question i know, but i had understood from another thread that it is normal to pay your doctor and then the money will either be refunded automatically to bank account or claimed depending on circumstances.     Are dentists different, or have i really go hold of wrong end of stick here |?

I paid for my appointment on the day and as you say money was reimbursed into bank account. 'Himself' required further treatment so didn't pay anything  until he'd finished all his visits a few weeks later.

Have you got to go back soon??

Until recently our dentist did not charge on the day, but expected you to go back in a few weeks when he - theoretically - had had the time to do the accounts.   It was a real pain.  But he is now fully computerised and the bill comes through while you are still doing the final "rinse".....

Chrissie (81)

Hope it all went well for you. I will have to visit the tooth doctor soon and am definately in the 'white knuckle' category when it comes to dentists. How do dentists compare here? just looking for some reassurance really...but this big baby will still be taking Mum along as usual.

he was fine !   no different to an english dentist - except language of course !   But then i have always fallen into the 'more scared of what the dentist costs me than what he does' category.     Spent nearly £1000 last yearin UK and am now particularly paranoid about dental costs.

he did lots of things on the computer with the card and also the top up information, i rather naively decided that all costs were covered but in hindsight it may have been more wishful thinking than anything - i suppose we shall see on next visit ....