Health System In France

Carina

We are moving to France next year and will be early retiring on pensions (age 56 & 55).  Can anyone please tell me what we will have to pay per year to join the French system. I am Diabetic controlled on Insulin and my wife is in good health. I have heard that Diabetis is a chronic illness in France (the same as UK) and that means the French Health service is free to me but does this just mean Diabetic related treatment or does it mean all.  Also does it mean that my drugs etc will be free?

Thanks

In rough terms, you will pay about 8% of your joint income above a figure of about 7000€.

You may be able to get 100% cover for your diabetes treatment - this has to be recommended by your medical practitioner and agreed by your primary health assurance provider (e.g. your local CPAM office). It usually is approved, but is not automatic. Treatment for other conditions will be reimbursed on the standard scale (e.g. 65%, 35%, 70%, depending on its nature). Most people take out  top-up insurance to cover the part that is not refunded.

Don't forget to contact DWP in Newcastle in good time to apply for an E106. This will give you a maximum of two years free from CPAM contributions (you will still need a top up insurance) as the Uk will pick up the tab for that period

Hi Will

Do you or anyone else know where I can find out how much 'Top Up Insurance' will cost.  I am 56 and my wife 55 - I just want a rough idea as we are retiring early and will be living on pension income and I would like to draw up some sort of budget.

Thanks

Carina

Yes it does depend on the options you take such as increasing the reimbursements for dental and eye care. We took the view that we'd have to pay for these anyway if we lived in the UK.

We opted for the minimum cover to get us back 100% of the normal doctor/prescription/hospital costs and we pay just under 1000€ for a 58 year old and a 61 year old. This is with Pacifica via our bank Credit Agricole.

Benjamin

Dear Benjamin we too compared Pacifica with Groupama and I am 62 and my wife 59 and our annual payments are 1250 euros per annum.  But of course age is not the only issue that one should take into account.  We decided upon in the end our local Groupama agency and which is run by a lady in our village and who speaks some English  in that if we really do get into trouble then perhaps we will not face insurmountable problems.  That is exactly the same basis that we use local artisans (providing of course that the figures just about match up) in that the money goes into the local village life and if during the winter something happens then we just do stand a chance that they will come out.  However if we used an artisan say in Avranches or Coutances then perhaps it would be a little more difficult.