Husband in France, me in UK

Spicy

I have read a lot here and wonder if someone could clarify things for me.

If my husband lives in France (100%) but doesn't work and I commute to the UK to work (me living 66% in UK, 33% in France) after the E106 expires what would we do for his healthcover?

Unless someone else knows better.........I would say that he gets the usual letter from Newcastle refusing to extend his E106 (as described elsewhere on the forum) and signs up with CPAM as a French resident. His contributions will then be based upon his French tax return. However, I have no idea if your UK residency has any effect upon the situation, so perhaps someone in a similar position will clarify.

Its going to be diffcult. I looked into this a little. What I learnt is that if I am on a contract other than one from a French company, then I need private insurance for the Wife, unless I am paying tax exclusively in france. Then again I dont know too much. So please take everything with a bag of salt.

Spicy - I will be following this thread with interest as my situation will be like yours next year. I will be in France full time and not working (apart from on my house) and my wife will be working full time in UK. We both have medical conditions to add to our problems. My problem is the reason I am giving up work. Hers means that she has to stay in UK as she cannot get her treatment in France.

Isnt life fun!

Have just contacted Newcastle on 0191 225 4811 to get some information and they tell me it is quite straightforward. I get a E106 as I am working and resident in the UK and I can add my husband to this as a dependent. If he was to get his own it would only be valid for a maximum of 2 years (1st Jan rule) and then we would need to get him added to mine, so it sounds easier just to get him registered from the beginning as a dependent on my E106.

Sounds a bit too easy. We'll have to wait and see.

I phoned and got this information from two different numbers in Newcastle - I thought it sounded too simple - both gave the same advice.

It may be they just went for the easy option rather than listening to what I was saying about me being UK resident. That said the French will regard me as a French resident because my husband would be one. The information is although I need to fill in a French return there would be no more tax, health or social contributions on my salary as the UK has already had their share. Also sounds too good...

I have dug a bit deeper and yes, E106 is the right form if you are British, work and pay NI in UK, but your principal residence is in France. See http://www.saint-lo.ameli.fr/268/DOC/798/fiche.html?page=2. The E106 still has a limited validity though so after two years you would have to make other arrangements (which would probably involve E109 as above).

I think that if you had an E106 while living and working in Britain, even though you pay NI, if you needed medical treatment in Britain you would have to either get a French CEAM (EHIC, formerly E111, equivalent) or go private. So it may not be the best solution, depending on your circumstances.

• 1 month later...

We are in the same situation but in reverse.  I live in France full time with the children. My husband is in the film industry and is employed in the UK.  We are considered French residents but he is not. This was confirmed by our local Hotel des Impots when we lodged our first french tax return. Just because your husband will be french resident doesn't mean you will be.

We have an E109 which is what you need when one partner works in the UK and the other partner/family are resident in another EU country.  I thought an E106 was for when both partners were below retirement age but had moved to another EU country. The E106 is then valid for 2 years providing you have paid enough NI contributions.  An E106 may or may not, depending on your departement, make you eligible for a Carte Vitale. If you are not, you will get a paper Attestation which you hand to the doctor, pharmacist, etc.

The E109 is renewable every year and it covers myself and the children for all healthcare in France the same as a French person, but my husband doesn't have any right to healthcare here and must use his EHIC, although our Mutuelle accepted him for top up insurance.  I can't see how you could be eligible for an E106 as we were told we weren't and your situation appears to be the same as ours.

Hope this helps

Melanie

Just a quick ps to my message. You said you will be living 66% in the UK. Presuming you keep an address in the UK, that will be considered your principle residence and thus, you will need the E109.  Newcastle will ask you to answer lots of questions about your situation, where you live, how much you work, etc and from that will decide if you are eligible for the E109.

Melanie

Hi,

I am in the same situation only in reverse. I live here permantly no work as of yet.  My husband commutes back and forth to england to workhe works out about 50% of the year in each country.

I will say that what the Newcastle officials said is true I am down as a dependant on my Husbands ever renewing E106.you will need to send off for your renewal about a month before it is due to end as there is usually a delay on the Newcastle side. Then just go back to CPAM and renw the papaerwork there once you have your new form.

All the best.

Tillergirl

jonesenfrance and Tillergirl, thanks for your replies I have only just seen them. I'll speak to Newcastle again and ask them about an E109 and discuss an E106 again. The advice will probably change depending on who answers the phone!!