re: piggie backing again

Julie Clare

Hi everyone,

Still relatively new to this site, so bear with me .  I have been reading posts about E121 covering spouses or not, and am wondering how this will apply to us.  Here's the scenario.  In late 2008/early 2009, my husband and I are coming over to live in France. I will be in receipt of my old age gov. pension (not full as not quite enough contributions), and he will be in receipt of a small NHS pension from a former job. I suppose for the first year or so we will have the E106, but then when I claim my E121, will he be included on mine do you think until he is 65 and can claim in his own right, he will be 62 by then .  Having read the other posts, the o/h is either much younger than claimant or still working, neither of which applies to us.

Also, as we will be on a very tight budget, can anyone recommend a reasonable insurance plan for top ups and are there any English speaking ones ?

Thank you all in advance for your help !!

Julie  (cote d'or)[8-)]

The decision on piggybacking rests ultimately with the French. If you get an E 121 in 2008 you can apply to have your O/H included by the UK, but that has to be ratified by the French.

Some CPAM offices seem to have no problem with piggybacking, I know of younger well off O/Hs  in their own right being included as dependents on  Disability issued E 121s, (maybe this is because the UK picks up the health care bill so why should the French worry[Www])  however some SW CPAM offices have been known to be difficult and want evidence of dependency.  If you get an E 121 from the UK from day one, there is no need for an E 106, except for your O/H if he was turned down as a piggybacker.

EDIT

There are "English speaking"  medical top up plans but in my experience they are often UK backed ansd/or Spanish based and you pay for the privilege. I and many others use Groupama who have English speakers in some offices if that is a problem, they offer good plans and are very efficient with repayments.  With some obscure providers you will end up paying the full cost up front anyway for some medical services and have to wait for reimbursement,  so if you have a tight budget that will be a problem, however being blunt, if you are going to live here on a tight budget then you will have to get out of looking for English speaking whatevers as it will cost you in the long run.  In addition, you will never integrate unless you try and converse in French.  So get to those French lessons now[I]