Dentist

Suninfrance

Coops, I too have just been to the dentist for the first time.  I did remember to take the Carte Vitale.  I paid the amount they requested.  I was given a form with "JULIE" in the top left-hand corner with the full amount shown.  Does that mean the Caisse will refund all of that or do I have to claim some of it from our mutual mutuelle Exclusive Health?

I don't recognise Julie, Sweet 17, sorry!  As far as Exclusive Healthcare is concerned, if you have signed up to their new automatic system (which we have done) then you will get the refund from them automatically.  But if you aren't in this new system, you will have to make a claim. If in doubt, phone their helpline - they are always helpful when I talk to them.  The portion of your costs which is paid for by the state will also be re-funded automatically, provided the dentist had a Carte Vitale card reader and processed it (stuck it in one of those dinky electronic card readers) at the time.

Thank you, Cooperlola.  Can't think what Julie stands for; it's a strange looking little logo.  Yes, they did read the Carte Vitale in their little reader and I must say that 40 euros 97 sounds quite a lot for a filling which took about 3 minutes.  He didn't do any scaling or other checking up like my UK chappie would have done.  But then, I expected a crown at the very least and I was delighted he fixed the problem so quickly and efficiently.  Steep learning curve here but that's what we came here for; in order to avoid being stale and complacent in our old age!

Bon weekend, as the French say & thanks again

[quote user="sweet 17"]Coops, I too have just been to the dentist for the first time.  I did remember to take the Carte Vitale.  I paid the amount they requested.  I was given a form with "JULIE" in the top left-hand corner with the full amount shown.  Does that mean the Caisse will refund all of that or do I have to claim some of it from our mutual mutuelle Exclusive Health?
[/quote]

JULIE could be dental imaging software. Have a look at this link.

http://www.owandy.fr/

I think dentists must work on different rates.  I spent 10 minutes in the chair, had a tooth re-built, scale and polish for 19 Euros 75.  Mind you he did give me a quote for a new crown (which apparently they don't really like doing in France) and that was just over 300 Euros.  Nearly fell off the chair - lol

Suninfrance

Thank you so much for posting.  Will look at another dentist next time.  I did ask at the reception whether the dentist was "conventionee" to which the reply was yes.

Just goes to show you have to keep your wits about you.  A friend of a friend said their friend paid 600 euros for a crown  Just goes to show, it appears to be anything goes!

I did ask while I was there if they had a tariff for treatment and the answer was no.  However, as you say, you get it back eventually.

I am so glad I found this dentist.  Speaks English, uses aneasthetic (including the one without adrenalin in it, because I'm allergic to it), and is very gentle.  OH said he would have to make an appoinment soon and told the dentist "I don't like pain, so be nice to me".  Dentist took one look at him and said "I usually am nice to people who are bigger than me".   LOL.  OH is 6ft 4.

Sundance

Love your post.  A dentist with a sense of humour?  My, you are indeed lucky.  Usually the ones that do think they have a sense of humour tell you funny things when your mouth is wide open and can't respond!

Yours sounds an absolute treasure.  I hope you really appreciate him