Areas prone to mosquitoes

Chezaban

Can anyone help us please?  We love France and really enjoyed our time living in Charente Maritime BUT we were bitten mercilessly by mozzies.  This made our lives such hell we sold up and back back to the UK but we hate it here.

We have a theory that maybe we were bitten so much because we lived in a hamlet set amongst vines. 

Does anyone know if mozzies love vines?  Is that what the problem was? 

We've been to the Midi 3 times (where they also have vines) and never been bitten.

Please help.  We can't afford a house in the Midi and desperately want a little place in France again.

Chezaban

Have you thought about the Limousin?  Some properties are still comparatively inexpensive.  We've been in the Correze a year now, and I don't think we've seen a mosquito.  We get the occasional Taon, though, and they bite when you're not looking, but really not troublesome at all.

Chris

Have you tried taking vitamin B during the season. I used to live in Hong Kong and was eaten alive until I started taking vitamin B. It is actually the B1 that is the ingredient that seems to work, but it is recommended that you take a B-complex if you are taking it over a long period. I generally start taking them around April and continue until October. It works for me as if I forget for 1 day, I get bitten. You do occasionally get bitten if there are a lot of mozzies about, but it doesn't itch nearly as much.

[quote user="Chezaban"]

Can anyone help us please?  We love France and really enjoyed our time living in Charente Maritime BUT we were bitten mercilessly by mozzies.  This made our lives such hell we sold up and back back to the UK but we hate it here.

[/quote]

We live in the Limousin & hardly ever see (or hear!) a mozzy. In Spain we were plagued with them for 8 months of the year, & insects love me!

I have heard the odd one, but I could count them on the fingers of one hand. Stay away from standing water wherever you go.

That was how we came to live in Charente...We were camping down on the coast and were bitten alive by mossies and flies. We moved inland and found the north Charente region to our liking and eventually bought our secondaire there. Then moved permanantly nearly 4 years ago to a modern house a few Ks away. Prices reasonable, weather - not bad. 

We are also in the Correze and do not get bothered with the buzzing little critters either, but we do still get bitten

by some insects (daytime) and after being eaten alive cutting the grass I now dress up for jungle warfare.  Socks tucked

into boots a jungle net hat and gloves, the neighbours have a laugh, but when I did it without the protection I got 19 bites

all in a line on the back of my neck.

Vitimin B1 did not work for us.