Re: High blood pressure and Temerit tablets

woolybananasbrother

Quite right Wooly!

And they often forget!

For years I was taking a Thiazide diuretic: (bendrofluazide) which depletes Potassium salt in muscles.

Luckily I checked side effects and demanded analysis: to find I was dangerously low!

And much later, I had my BP checked by a locum who instantly prescribed yet another diuretic: which my GP kept issuing repeat scrips for.

If you suffer with either hyper or hypo tension: buy a good BP monitor.

Selling last week in Lydil of all places for £25.

Puzzled

Temerit (Nebivolol ) is a beta blocker - a very selective and effective antihypertensive medication which causes a fall in heart rate and blood pressure. It is usually well tolerated though of course there may be side effects notably dizziness and tiredness.

Amlodipine which WB's B takes is a calcium channel blocker - both these drugs are effective in hypertension and may sometimes be used together but they act in totally different ways.

Neither should be stopped abruptly

There are many antihypertensive regimes and you are right to discuss your concerns with your GP who will no doubt consider alternative therapy

It is good that his BP is now being well controlled and hopefully this can be maintained.

Thought I would respond as I am surprised that beta blockers have been prescribed, unless there are heart arythmia problems, as they and diuretics are no longer seen as the gold standard treatment for high blood pressure, having been replaced by ACE inhibitors, angiotensin-II blockers, or calcium channel blockers. As these more modern drugs have been proven to be far better through clinical trials and have less side effects. In fact I believe last year following extensive medical studies, new British medical guidelines were issued to Doctors highlighting this. 

I would do some internet research on this and defnitely go back and question your Doctor. Hopefully, it is not an example of prescribing the cheapest option, or a Doctor stuck in his ways.

Current NICE guidlines do say that beta blockers are no longer preferred as a routine initial therapy for hypertension.

But may be considered in younger patients and those with an increased sympathetic drive or intolerance / contraindication to ACE inhibitors and Angiotensin II receptor antagonists.

Patients under 55 should start on an ACE inhibitor. Patients over 55 or of African, caribbean descent (any age) on  calcium channel blockers or thiazide diuretics.

These may be combined - beta blockers may then be added.

As I said earlier and I agree with Sprogster - in view of side effects you should discuss these concerns with your doctor and maybe find alternative therapy.