TENS machine

JohnRoss

Having put up with sciatica for the last four years and during a session with my masseur kinésithérapeute the subject of TENS machines came up. He, of course, had a friend who flogs these but the prices were a bit daunting to say the least.

I note that Lloyds Pharmacy in the UK sells these from just under £15 at the moment and a friend in France has one and swears by it. Another model called Touch easy is also available in the UK at a slightly higher price but I wonder if any of you have found a good model here in France.

I am told I have a trapped nerve in the spine due to the AS and it ain't going to get better on its own so I am keen to try this as surgery may be the only other option, other medical conditions rule out injections and anti-inflammatory meds. So anybody got one sourced here or in the UK and would you recommend it?....................................JR

Have you heard of PainSolv ?

Let me declare an interest right up front which is that my brother's company both developed it and produces it but I advocate it not because of that but purely on the basis that it works for me.

Principally I use it on my iffy knee in which I have early arthritis as a result of injury many years ago, and it gives quick and effective relief, that's the bottom line. OH has used it with success for toothache and also on her shoulder which she badly broke a few years ago and can frequently give here a constant dull ache !

If you read the blurb you'll see that it isn't your average cheap TENS machine and in fact works on an entirely different principal.

It's not the cheapest device agreed but what price pain relief, I wouldn't part with mine [blink]

It's not a cure of course and every situation will be different so I can only comment on my own specific experience.

Time has taught me to be fairly good at predicting when my knee is going to give me grief, say if I've had a particularly active day in the garden for instance, digging is practically guaranteed to set it off, but more often than not I can feel it coming on so I use it as a preventative. The effectiveness also depends on how bad it's got before I start and if it's got really sore I'll sometimes take Ibuprufen and use the PainSolv to give some relief until that kicks in.

It's very difficult to quantify the benefit but I would say that gives me a measure of relief roughly equivalent to taking a 400mg Ibuprufen but in a fraction of the time and of course without the potential side effects of drugs.

Unlike your problem mine isn't in need of constant relief and once it's settled down it's usually OK until I do something to set it off again. If you need an anti-flammatory for your nerve problem but can't take one it might work for you but clearly I cannot make any promises.

I got my PainSolv through my brother but he doesn't actually sell them, that's done through a separate marketing company, but they are available in Boots and some other chemists and by mail order/Internet. If you wanted to try it then this might be your best choice because under the UK's Distance Selling Regulations you have the option of returning it within 7 days without question if you find it doesn't help you. Some companies give you longer but this only applies to purchases in UK of course. You might possibly find someone selling it with say a 30 day money back guarantee.

I don't know if it's actually available in France or if you have the benefit of similar consumer rights here, knowing the typical French attitude to customers probably not [:'(]

Good luck

We both use a TENS macine.  I was retired on ill-health grounds due to osteoarthrosis apparently brought on by a fall.  One of the options presented to me was a nerve-deadening treatment so that I just wouldn´t feel the ongoing dull pain.  I decided against this on the basis that the pain was probably trying to tell me something.  Instead I decided to institute my own form of treatment. This consisted of

1) weight loss.  I was 4 stones overweight and losing this not only helped my back problems but also completely got rid of my blood pressure problems at a stroke.

2) walking EVERYWHERE.  No getting in the car unless the journey is over 2 miles each way.  This really helped my back to the point that if I feel twinges I now head off on a long brisk walk before I think of other alternatives.

3) daily glucosamine and cod liver oil capsules.  These take about 6 weeks to become effective but seem to work for me. I only use prescribed painkillers as a last resort and sometimes just use anti-inflamatory tablets on their own.

4) the TENS machine.  I was a sceptic but I find this really works.  Two ten minute sessions will cure my most serious bouts.  I use it on a high setting and am usually a little sore the next day but it's unusual to need treatment for more than two days.

My husband, who seriously damaged his neck and spine in a cycling accident some years ago successfully uses exactly the same system so I don't think my regime is just appropriate for osteoarthrosis/arthritis.

Check out EBay or, as you say, Lloyd's Chemists.  I understand the pharmacy at Morrison´s supermarkets have a really good offer on at the moment too if you can find someone to check that out for you.

I also use a TENS machne with good results for back pain, not an expensive one but effective. Mine is boots own brand. However if yours is a trapped sciatic nerve,  a nurse I used to work with showed me a neat trick for freeing it.

Stand in front of the fireplace and hang onto the mantle, lift the affected leg until your knee and hip are level, without changing that position swing your leg out to the side as far as you can and drop your leg down to straighten it. Hurts like hell, but the next day my husband was practically pain free, and has never had any trouble since.  My problem is a dodgy disc, so unfortunately it doesn't work for me![:(]

Hi Jo and thanks for the info. My sister says she will get me one and send it over. The technique you describe sounds like it may be for Piriformis where the sciatic nerve gets trapped under or over or even through a muscle in the bum and I tried it but no go I am afraid. With the inflammation of AS you get boney bits growing which can trap things like nerves, had a bit of it in the neck a few weeks ago giving Torticolis and spasms, about par for the course with us old buffers!............................JR (Not that old but feels like sometimes, E121 next year)