Proof of residence for Carte Vital etc? Again

milkeybar kid

I am trying to explain the situation of Carte vital etc simpley by printing off the superb info on French health issues, but the answer to "What is proof of residency"  I cant see, please can someone direct me to it. I did explain as far I was aware the proof of residency is from your income tax office, but I cant find the reference in "French health issues- info". Scenario being-- couple have been here for over 18 months, they have been led down the garden path by another English couple who are ducking and diving the authorities into keeping their heads down and not registering for Income Tax. As I see it having sadly followed bad advice they have missed the opportunity of being classed as a permanet resident if they had registered for income tax before Nov23 /07. Have I got this right?[8-)]

[quote user="milkeybar kid"] Scenario being-- couple have been here for over 18 months, they have been led down the garden path by another English couple who are ducking and diving the authorities into keeping their heads down and not registering for Income Tax. As I see it having sadly followed bad advice they have missed the opportunity of being classed as a permanent resident if they had registered for income tax before Nov23 /07. Have I got this right?[8-)]
[/quote]

The brutal answer is, that by practicing tax evasion and failing to register for heathcare, they are essentially illegal immigrants.

When your friends arrived in France 18 months ago, they were legally required to register for state healthcare within three months of their arrival.  As they have being lying low since then, I assume they still haven't registered ,so they've missed the opportunity and will have to purchase private healthcare insurance (and sort out their tax, of course) in order to regularise their residency status in France.  Unless one of them is old enough to qualify for an E121, then they will have to fund their own private health cover for another five years before they can obtain access to the state health insurance system.

When they eventually visit their tax office cap in hand, I'd be inclined to mention the other English couple's 'advice' ...........

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

Quite.

However, in this case they've probably just been naive, but if someone says to you 'it's OK, just say nowt and you won't have to pay any tax here' then surely common sense should have suggested otherwise.

[/quote]

Unfortunately, common sense can be a remarkably uncommon commodity!

It's not quite as simple as that. Registration for and paying of tax (if indeed any tax is due) is an annual event so it's possible to be resident in France for many month's before being required or able to go through the process. Prior to that residence can be evidenced by E106 or E121 and other factors such as telephone and electricity bills showing that you actually live her not just visit. You can also go and register your presence with your Mairie.

Additionally once someone has found this forum all the necessary information is here to be found either by searching or asking [:D]

MBK

The French Health Issues website does contain all the information required for obtaining healthcare in France. ..[;-)]

Separate from the issue of healthcare, everyone permanently resident in France is required by law to file an annual tax declaration.

In health terms, all new arrivals must either register for state healthcare insurance under an E-form or have private insurance cover.  As E-form holders are not required to make a financial contribution to the state system, proof of income in the form of a tax avis is not required.   

However, anyone looking to transfer from private cover to state cover after living here for five years will have to demonstrate that they have been in stable and legal residency for that period.  Legal residency means having filed the necessary tax declarations, so they should expect to be asked to produce their tax records covering that five year period.

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]...will have to demonstrate that they have been in stable and legal residency for that period [/quote]I'm sure SD will permit me to expand on what is an important point.

Whilst stable implies continuing residency it is important to realise that breaks in excess of 3 months could be deemed to break that continuity so for those able and accustomed to flying south for the winter months something to bear in mind.

Code de l'entrée et du séjour Art R122-3:

La continuité de séjour nécessaire à l'acquisition et au maintien du droit au séjour permanent n'est pas affectée par :

1° Des absences temporaires ne dépassant pas six mois par an ;

2° Des absences d'une durée plus longue pour l'accomplissement des obligations militaires ;

3° Une absence de douze mois consécutifs au maximum pour une raison importante, telle qu'une grossesse, un accouchement, une maladie grave, des études, une formation professionnelle ou un détachement à l'étranger pour raisons professionnelles.

The six month rule would tend to be in line with the usual tax residency decider threshold, vehicle registration requirement for long term visits to another country, etc

[quote user="milkeybar kid"]Thank you for reply. You have confirmed all. Would it be a good idea to have this "proof of residence" eg:" registeration of Income Tax", put in the info of "French Health Issues" with the residency paragraph.? Or is already there and I have missed it.![:$]
[/quote]It's all here: http://www.frenchhealthissues.eu/residence/menu.htm

Rather more than a paragraph though![:D]