gluten free meals and restaurants

suzy

Hello all,

I have had a quick look at gluten on the site and it mostly seems to be about gluten free diets for those staying at CdH etc.  My query is that the OH and I are bringing a couple of frieinds over to France in June, one of whom suffers from Coeliac disease and is on a gluten free diet.  They are happy to bring their own bread and I guess we'll mostly be eating at home, but this does seem to limit the enjoyment of being in France.  Does anyone have any experience of having to be gluten free and eating out in France ?

Hopefully.....

Sue

Last year, I stayed in a hotel where a French guest has just this problem.

She explained to the hotel owner and they adapted her meals:  for example, by leaving out sauces made with flour.  Otherwise, she had the "pension" as the rest of us.

Come to think of it, I went out with her for a couple of lunches and she did question the restaurant people in some depth and explained, and got, what she requested.

So, shouldn't be impossible but, of course, you'd need to be able to explain reasonably well in French or run the risk of not being understood as to exactly what is required.

My friend ( moved back to Uk now ) didnt have much problem eating out in France .

We had hundreds of meals out .  I suppose after a while you tend to keep to the same places so they get to know you but she always says she wouldnt  dare eat out at a strange resteraunt in UK but in France ( and Spain & Portugal|) we did it all the time . It seems that  in France they make sauces from  meat juices and dont use FLOUR  sometimes maybe cornflour but not flour as a matter of course .

Of course at times she had to rely on Steak and chips ! 

Of course its down to what you choose  - not Pizza !!! or Chinese ( gluten in Soy sauce)

A shock when we found some wine wasnt gluten free !!!!

Thanks Cluzo and Sweets,

The OH has been on t'internet and has come up with a card (in French) to show to restaurant staff, outlining what can't be eaten, which seems a good idea to me as long as the staff know what goes into the food !  I'm encouraged by your replies re sauces etc and our friend knows exactly what to avoid in the UK - and what he can eat - lots of steak and chips as you say !  I don't think we will have too much of a problem, we have the language and they have the knowledge !  I would just hate anything untoward to happen on their first trip to France !!

I'll let you know how we get on in due course.

Sue