Top up insurance for new arrival.

brodie19

As of 1st May we will be in France for good. One of the things we will obviously do is register for healthcare with our E121s. I have already obtained a few quotes for top up insurance. Can we start the application process for this from the UK ( I have a French bank account), with the cover to take effect from the 1st May. Or do we have to register first with CPAM?

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks for that Mr Sunday.

Just while we are on topic... do we register first with a local doctor (medecin traitant) who sends a CERFA12485 to CPAM, and thus obtain a Social Security number (we have E121s)...or do we, as you say, contact CPAM, who will give us a Social Security number, then we see the doctor?

Would I also be correct in assuming that this process does not happen overnight, and that we have to depend on EHIC until this happens?

Would it not be the case then that we would have no affiliation with the UK NHS at this time (because we have moved to France permanently)?

Again, thank you for allowing me to feast on your vast knowledge!!!!

[quote user="brodie19"]Thanks for that Mr Sunday. Just while we are on topic... do we register first with a local doctor (medecin traitant) who sends a CERFA12485 to CPAM, and thus obtain a Social Security number (we have E121s)...or do we, as you say, contact CPAM, who will give us a Social Security number, then we see the doctor? YES

Would I also be correct in assuming that this process does not happen overnight, 

You are covered from the moment you submit your E121.  The paper Attestation may take a few days and your Carte Vitale which is an identity card and means of automated reimbursement may take longerbut  you have to submit photos for that, but you are covered. The Attestation is the most important

If you have to see a doctor you have to pay 22€ anyway and you can submit your brown form for reimbursement to CPAM when you get your SS Number.  When you get your Attestation you can get a Mutuelle organised, personally I would not use anty English speaking agent as you pay through the nose for the privilege, Groupama are one that opffers the best value and are efficient with refunds, but others may have other Mutuelles they wish to recommend. 

and that we have to depend on EHIC until this happens?   NO! any EHIC issued whilst you were in the UK is redundant as soon as you apply to join the French system.

Would it not be the case then that we would have no affiliation with the UK NHS at this time (because we have moved to France permanently)?   Correct, but due to a recent change, you will get your EHIC from the UK from now on.  There are two other threads about that 

[/quote]