private health insurance

jacques

My family is moving to France from Canada in October.  It does not appear that we will be covered by the French Health system and will most likely need to obtain private health insurance. Could anyonme let me know if we are required to obtain this insurance before we arrive in France or can we wait until after we arrive and rely on travel insurance in the interim.  Also, any recomendations on the best private health care providers would be appreciated.

I think the answer to your main question is contained in the fact that, as a non-European citizen, you will be required to obtain titre de sejour within the first three months of your residence in France. Suitable health assurance is a condition of this, so you will need to get it sorted well before the three months is up.

As to whether or not travel insurance would cover you in the meantime, I think that depends both on the terms of your policy and your anticipated health needs when you take up residence. I would imagine, though, that if the insurer knew you were resident in France then the policy would not be effective in France (i.e your country of residence, rather than somewhere you are travelling to).

I will leave recommendations to those who have actually taken out private assurance and so have some experience.

Most French nationals are under the state scheme and only use insurance for top-up so the industry nationally is not terribly well geared up for full-on private health insurance.  Thus you might do better to have a look at some of the policies on offer to expatriate Canadians before you leave.  Other companies who will cover you for France are listed on our website (see below - voluntary and without any affiliation).  I use Exclusive myself for top-up and have had no problems with them (they pay up without question) but I can't speak for their full policies.

Main exclusion for policy for world wide insure WJT on their website (when you ask for a quote for annual policy) : people living outside the EU not covered. Please read the smallprint - taking the risk of not being covered, especially with a young family, is a huge risk. On the Homepage there is a link for outside EU residents which might do the trick. The Annual multitrip is for 31 days at a time max though, but there is a more general option. Would be interesting to know how much it would cost for the family. Bonne chance.

Insurances will take any excuse for refusing to pay, but will always be happy to take your premiums as long as all is well.

I've looked at WJT's link and this is the killer bit:

"Eligibility Requirements

The Atlas Series is available to you if you are at least 14 days old and traveling outside of your Home Country. If you are a US citizens, your Home Country is always the United States, regardless of the location of your Principal Residence. If you are not a US citizen, Home Country is the country where you principally reside and receive regular mail.

Individuals applying together must have the same citizenship. If there is more than one citizenship in your family, you must use separate applications. Enter only individuals who will be traveling. It is not necessary to enter family members who will not be traveling. The Atlas Series is not available to individuals who are physically located in the state of New York at time of purchase. "

IMO, travel insurance is just that.  You can't use it to cover you in the country you live in.  (Btw, it really does say "outside of" - that's not my mis-copying it!)

Sorry, it has been a while since I used it and it was just for me when I was in France for a period and needed to find insurance to cover me. I am a UK resident so did not look into outside EU conditions.

Hope OP finds a solution.