Tetanus jab

nectarine

I think that Mr. Nectarine and I need a tetanus booster - it's been years since we had one and now, working in the garden and getting scratched by everything I'm starting to think we need one fairly quick!

What is the procedure? Do we go to our doctor, or directly to a nurse? I'd like to get one in the next few days if possible.

All advice appreciated, many thanks.

When we went for our 5yearly health MOT we were told that tetanus jab should be renewed every 10 years, unlike in UK where when you've had so many you're covered for life. We went to the Docs, he gave us a prescription to take to the chemist and then return to him for the injection. We had to have 2, each one a month apart.

When I went for my rappel in France a few years ago now, my GP told me not to bother, that I'd be covered.

I used to hate them as they would be given in the shoulder blade. They may be given in the shoulder blade everywhere, I don't know, I just know I have always suffered afterwards. I have only had them in France.

It is worth knowing that vaccinations and boosters are far less effective as we get older, as the immune system gets progressively weaker as we age and therefore those over the age of fifty need to be careful in recognising that a vaccine they receive may have limited effectiveness. That is one of the reasons the flu vaccine is given every year, not just because the prevalent flu viruses change.

Also last year the UK government announced it would stop providing the pneumonia vaccination to those over 65, as it has been proven it is not effective for that age group.

[quote user="minnie"]I have to say that the one both my husband and I had we hardly felt at all and neither of us had any reaction. I imagine much rests on who gives the jab.[/quote]And also on the person receiving the jab. I never seem to have any lasting pain from an injection tho I did have a funny reaction after a hepatis jab a few years ao.