Has anyone experienced a sharp, jabbing pain .....

mint

in their head in severe cold weather?

I am talking about a very sharp but transitory pain and I am especially talking to people who have spent time outdoors but (foolishly) without a hat.

In the last few days, since the weather turned cold, I have had this strange pain in the back of my head.  It comes and goes every few seconds and, whilst not flooring me, I am very aware of it.  I have been out as usual with the dog, sometimes with a hat but often without, and I have also been in the garden clearing up tons of dead leaves from the mulberry tree.

Just wondered if the cold could trigger headaches as described?

In summer 2011, I suffered from something along those lines. Felt like a knife had been plunged into my head, or what I imagine my head would feel like if lightening struck in my head. I ended up going to A&E one evening, as I didn't know what to do with myself. I was told it was cluster headaches and to take a maximum dose of paracetamol or ibuprofen for a few days and they should start going. And then at the first sign of one starting to take something immediately.

It worked. As you said, transitory pain, but that evening when I went to A&E, it felt like there was one after the other. I never get headaches usually, and maybe that was the reason I didn't deal with them very well.

The weather was pretty decent in summer 2011.

Go and see the toubib.

• 3 weeks later...

I had exactly the same a few weeks back. transitory but very sharp pain, all day long. My GP sent me to an " ostéopathe" who said it had to do with the basis of my skull and the first vertebra. Yet, the pain was at the back of my head, on the left side.

I felt better for a day after seeing him, then it came back.  I took strong medication the GP had given me, and have to have an RMI soon.

Good luck with the RMI, Frenchie.

I don't think my pain was as severe as yours.  It lasted a few days when the weather was cold.  Then, I got fed up with it twinging and giving me no peace, so I took 2 paracetamols (like doliprane) and it went completely!

I am hoping it isn't something that will return.

With your pain, I guess it could be some sort of "nerve" pain, which would tie in with what the osteopath told you.

[quote user="sweet 17"]I have had this strange pain in the back of my

head.  It comes and goes every few seconds and, whilst not flooring me, I

am very aware of it.  [/quote]

[quote user="Frenchie"] My GP sent me to an "ostéopathe" who said it had to do with the basis of my skull and the first vertebra. Yet, the pain was at the back of my head, on the left side. [/quote]

Sweet, having been diagnosed with 'arthrose cervicale' after suffering those type of pains - or similar - with monotonous regularity I am now the proud possessor of a variety of colourful 'bonnets' for days when the chilly winds blow. These seem to help though good painkillers are my main prop on bad days. So wear a hat in the garden !

Hope your pain is something entirely different though Sweet as I wouldn't wish AC on anybody.

Sue

Sue, your post has reminded of a 90-ish  (age) neighbour we had in Wales.  She used to complain about these headaches at the back of her head and she said the doctor told her it was from arthritis of the neck.

I did think that being out hatless in the cold could have contributed to my pains and also what Wooly has said about nervous tension.  I was recently ill for about 3 months with exacerbated asthma and chest infections and I started to sleep sitting up in bed, propped up on pillows.  But, some time in the night, I would slip down the bed but my head would still be on about 4 pillows.  In the end, I put the pains down to sleeping in such a position as to have compressed some nerves in the neck.

They did seem like pains transmitted along a nerve because a) they were severe and b) they were sort of shooting.

I do hope your pains, Sue, are not going to be preventing you from swimming in the sea.

[quote user="sweet 17"]In the end, I put the pains down to sleeping in such a position as to have compressed some nerves in the neck.

They did seem like pains transmitted along a nerve because a) they were severe and b) they were sort of shooting. [/quote]

Thankfully that sounds more likely than AC.

[quote user="sweet 17"] I do hope your pains, Sue, are not going to be preventing you from swimming in the sea.[/quote]

As I cannot swim anything like I used to nowadays I just do what I can. Let the AC stop me ... never. If, eventually, I can only float on my back then that is what I shall do ! [;-)]

Sue [:)]

[quote user="woolybanana"]I had that Frenchie. I think it might be nervous tension.[/quote]

Might be, plus arthrosis I guess. It didn't happen to me in cold weather.

The doctor has suggested " Arnold syndrome " . We will see.

Now the pain has gone.  What a relief !!!!!!!