C.M.U. charges for "inactifs"

cassie

We moved to France just over 2 years ago and are "inactifs". Our S1 form expired in January and it has taken until now to get a response from CPAM saying I can have an " adhesion" backdated to Jan 2015 but I must pay cotisation trimestrielle of 174,75 from that date.

We are not yet of retirement age and are non taxpayers (income too low ) in U.K and France and have the following questions :

1) is this charge standard ?

2) there is no mention of my husband ( ayant droit ).....does this charge also cover him or do we have to pay double?

3) there is no mention of whether we will get new cartes vitale or what else we have to do to prove we are back in the system.......this letter does not mention that it is an "attestation "

4) when my husband reaches 65 in October, and we apply for cover on the basis of having reached state retirement age , will there be any cotisation charges after that date ?

Thanks for any help

Yes, you will have to pay and I would imagine that this charge will be standard. If you look (had looked) on the service public web page it states,

• et de ressources suffisantes pour ne pas devenir une charge pour le système d'assistance sociale français.

The same web page also has the minimum income you are expected to live on, including when you are pensioners.

So you will have to pay, maybe both of you, you will have to ask them.

Once your husband gets their UK state pension, they you will be able to piggy back onto his S1 (E121) and will not pay anything.

Carte vitales are simply a convenience, what you need is your attestation to say that you are in the system, very important piece of paper.

Also, how do you manage to pay for top up insurance? As an older person myself, something I would not like to be without and living in France, as that would make 175€ every three months look like a bit of a bargain.

Thanks for your reply.

I was told that, without a CV (or attestation ) you could not get a mutuel, so I do not have one.

Am also considering NOT taking one out.

I recently had knee surgery in France and the "extras " were surprisingly reasonable.

It`s a gamble......as is life !!

Attestation is the only important thing, not the CV, without an attestation you are not covered.

And bills can be very high. In 2006 I had a 10 day hospital stay, no operation, in fact they did next to nothing to me apart from make me ill, it was awful, and it cost around 7000€, and a lot more if I had needed surgery. If we had not had our mutuelle, I'm not sure how we would have managed to be honest.

The french state only pay a % of your health costs, the rest is really down to you. IF you can afford it, well, so be it, we could never afford it.

[quote user="cassie"] ... when my husband reaches 65 in October, and we apply for cover on the basis of having reached state retirement age , will there be any cotisation charges after that date ? [/quote]

There will be no charges after that date as the UK will, once again, pick up your bill.

In the meantime, in common with most French people, you will be expected to pay something towards your health cover.

Sue

As I understand the system, you have a basic ceiling and you pay 8% of your income towards the CMU once you exceed that ceiling. For example and taking the figures below, if you are earning more than 9601 Euros a year your CMU contribution is 8% of your income above that.

So if you are paying 174.75, that is judged to be 8% of the income above 9601, ie a total income of 16154 euros (approx)

Cotisation de base

(du 1er octobre 2014 au 31 décembre 2015)

Revenus fiscaux

(année n-1) Assiette Taux

≤ 9 601,00 € Pas de cotisation

> 9 601,00 € Revenus fiscaux après déduction de 9 601 € 8%