Five year residence qualification for healthcare?

Manon

At the end of October this year we will have lived here for five years as early retirees. I am a registered auto entrepreneur and we receive our healthcare through this but I would like to stop this as soon as I can. Does anyone know if the five year rule still applies and if so, how does one go about re-registering for healthcare in this case ? Any help much appreciated !

So are you an early retiree or are you running a business, I don't see how you can be both?

If you registered as an auto entrepreneur to get free or nearly free healthcare for five years and never actually ran a business, and what you're asking is will they now check up and if so will they accept it, who knows.

But if you want to stop being an auto entrepreneur, you need to close your business in the normal way - forms to fill in etc,

Gosh you are suspicious Eurotrash ! We retired from our main jobs in the UK when we moved here but I DID then set up and run a small business as an auto entrepreneur. I am not asking about closing the business but how to 'sign on ' for healthcare based on five year's residence.

When you close your AE you will still be covered by that for a year or six months - not sure exactly. Once that expires you apply to CPAM for CMU. Actually the 5 year rule was done away with last year, and every application is assessed on a case by case basis.

Sorry, but it was the way your post came across, I couldn't get my head round how you are retired but not retired at the same time. And I know a lot of people did that.

If you have healthcare via your business you can't sign up for another lot of healthcare until the business has been closed, and your entitlement via that source has expired. You can only be covered by one caisse at any one time. At the moment your caisse as a self employed person is probably RSI. As an inactif person your caisse would be CPAM. As said, you would need to close your business, and when you do that RSI will explain to you what will happen with your existing healthcare and when it will lapse. When you apply to CPAM they will have to liaise with RSI over the transfer.

Hope that is clearer now.

................ and until you reach French retirement age, be prepared that CPAM will not accept your dossier. They may not, but they may well.

I am afraid the system in most of Europe is very different to the UK and the NHS.