Water leak at rented property. Who is responsible?

thepenofmyaunt

I sat in as a translator when friends did a rental contract.  They are responsible for the plumbing inside the property and are also obliged, under their rental contract, to have insurance to cover anything that is down to them.  If your contract states that it's your responsibility, then it is and your insurance should cover it.

[quote user="thepenofmyaunt"]We have an underground water leak at our rented property. The contract says the tenant is responsible for maintaining the pipework and making necessary repairs but shouldn't this be the landlord?  [/quote]

This interests me as we have just had a second underground leak repaired at our rented property. Us/we (can never remember which it is, sorry) being the renters I just rang the landlady when we discovered the leak. Her husband came round, had a quick look, said there was nothing anyone except a plumber could do and promptly scribbled down the name of their plumber on a piece of paper. I rang and made an appointment, the plumber came and 'sorted' the leak - it wasn't straightforwardly repairable, a whole new plumbing arragement needed to be made. The bill was, presumably, sent to the landlady, as I never saw it.

Our contract states that we are responsible for upkeep and maintenance, but, categorically, does not mention leaks or pipework. Surely that is something over which the tenant has no control? Our leak - as with an almost identical one last year - was due to poor (original) soldering which, unfortunately, was buried underground.

Sue