Calling from France with a mobile phone

Hi,

Does anybody have any tips on the cheapest way to phone from France to the UK using an Orange mobile phone?

Previously I have used one of these international phone cards, but this time getting to a land line is going to be difficult and I shall have to use my Orange mobile to phone home.

Thanks for any replies or advice in advance.

Jac

Sorry, but I don't think using a UK mobile to phone the UK from France is not going to be cheap. I don't go to France often enough and when I do, I don't use the phone much, but I think the savings I have made by having a fixed line installed have already covered the cost of installation. This probably doesn't help you much as you need to use the mobile, but I share it just to illustrate that you need to use the phone sparingly!

John

Have you thought of simply going into a France Telecom or Orange shop in France and getting a French SIM card to stick in your Orange phone? I do this on a "pay as you go" contract, which costs about 30 Euros to set up, then you can buy top-ups in any units you need from 10 Euros upwards. This may not be cheap, but it's cheaper than using your UK number and phone, and has the added advantage that you aren't paying the premium if people phone you from either the UK or France.
Only a couple of things to beware of: firstly, the FT shop I got my card from forgot to register it within the timescale and I got "cut off" until I re-registered, which was a pain. Secondly, unlike many UK pay as you go providers, there's a time lmit on the validity of the credit you buy - e.g. you have to use a 10 Euro credit within 2 weeks.
No idea if this info helps, but for what it's worth.....
Jane