TISCALI/Critcal error message!

Need technical help please! I am not very clever with computers but need the internet for work, so all help appreciated. I have one minor and one major problem!

Recently moved in, connected to Internet thru my existing UK AOL line (which I'll be cancelling soon) and went to the Tiscali site to subscribe to the unlimited 24.99 euros a month.

It did not go smoothly, and I shed many tears of despair and frustration trying to talk to "technical support" - but I did eventually manage to get on-line, and I'm now getting on to the internet with only a minor problem - which is that after connection, I do not get an automatic screen appear, I have to launch Internet Explorer (on which I've made tiscali the home page) and I get into it that way. With AOL, I just double-click the icon, and then sign on to connect. I have a Tiscali icon but clicking on it does nothing. (When I boot up, the tiscali dialer comes up automatically)

Problem two - the major one - I can't disconnect!! I click the tiscali symbol (bottom right corner), the dialer comes up, I click Fermer, and the wording of the dialer changes, so it looks as if I am offline, but I am still connected!

A Microsoft CRITICAL ERROR message box then comes up - the error message reads "Destroy Window Error Get last error returned 1400"

No matter what or how much I click after that, the dialer box and the error box come up alternately, and I stay connected. So I have to shut down the computer to end the connection.

I cannot bear the thought of dealing with Tiscali technical support again, so please can anyone offer an explanation / solution? I think it may have something to do with not downloading the tiscali programme properly (the dialer link I'm using was manually set up by me with instruction from technical support)

Here's hoping...
Thanks, lesley

I'm sorry I can't help you on your problems but I just want to offer sympathy with your struggles with the Tiscali so-called helpline. I am trying to install their Broadband and found the helpline so useless that I am having to call in a local consultant at great expense to see if he can sort out the problem. If the problem is at Tiscali's end he can at least tell them so in technical language. (If it's my fault I'll just keep quiet.)

Gerry

Thanks v much for the messages of help and sympathy! Those kind enough to read my cry for help will be pleased to know I've managed to sort out the disconnection "critical error" problem - and I feel such a dolt. There was another 'click' button on the dial up box, which I thought was irrelevant, but in desperation I looked it up in my dictionary - and found it means to break off! So I was clicking on fermer when I should have been clicking on interrompre! Now I can disconnect with no more critical error messages!
But thanks for the advice Mazan, I will look up your past post on setting up a manual dialer in windows - I do try to learn as I go along even though I find computer technology so very hard to comprehend!
Thanks again.