Possible Virus - Advice Please

I've just received an e-mail, untitled, from someone I don't know - telling me I may have something called jdgb.exe. But some of these e-mails are hoaxes aren't they, designed to clog up the system?

Question is - how/where do I find out more about this jdgb.exe thingy, and whether I need to do something about it? We have Norton Anti-Virus - shouldn't/wouldn't that have picked up this jdgb virus?

Thanks, JudyM

LAST EDITED ON 23-Dec-03 AT 00:06 AM (GMT)

LAST EDITED ON 23-Dec-03 AT 00:05AM (GMT)

LAST EDITED ON 23-Dec-03 AT 00:01AM (GMT)

If memory serves me right this is a hoax virus that deletes/tells you to delete a file from your OS (with a bear logo?). Anyway its not a very important file and shouldn't do much damage if you do open it/act on it. I think it asks you to forward mail everyone you know telling them the same.

Just ignore and delete the e mail.

Jon
(44)

Advice for what it's worth and how well you follow it!

DON'T open any email from anyone you don't recognise. Resist the temptation to open and read the emails - just delete the things and the world will not end, but your machine will be safe from most viruses.

Norton and other AV tools can't pick up every virus created, particularly as there are new viruses created each day, even each hour. Some people make it their life work to create the ultimate virus. The volume of new viruses makes it impossible for AV tools to catch.

Then again you might consider a firewall for your computer!

The only way to even try to secure your machine is to ignore emails that come with a suspicious 'Subject Line' or from someone you do not know. Resist the temptation to open every email.

Julia in Brittany