Internet access

At the moment (in the UK) I have a BT adsl line. When I move to France, I will be using a laptop until I get my belongings to the house and set up an adsl line there. While using my laptop, I assume I can use a dial-up (internal modem) connection? How do I get access in the first place? Do I need to get a wanadoo (for example) disc and load that? I don't suppose BT's dial-up number will work over there?

I have a website, can I access my emails through that?

As in the UK, you can get pay per minute dial up access from many sources, e.g. Wanadoo, 9Online, Tele2, Cegetel etc; you can normally sort this out online > just register and get your dial up account settings and enter these manually.

If you have a website and, I presume, an existing email account, just use your email client (eg Outlook) or webmail access as normal. It's only the point to point access to the 'net which is different.

The one thing which might need adjusting is your smtp server; sometimes there are conflicts between ISPs and web hosts re identification meaning you can't send emails from your (e.g.) btopenworld address while dialling up with wanadoo. I changed to 9Online for this reason and have had no further problems and do not need a .fr address.

Set up an ISP before you leave UK. Pick one of the free ones, I use libertysurf, and note the connection telephone number and password settings. You may need your French address as they may insist on sending details in the post (free.fr did this).

This way you are all ready to go from day one. You can then take your time in sorting out ADSL if available, or another contract that may more suit your surfstyle. Personally I would not wait to use a setup CD until I arrived.

My laptop is set up for dial-up in France and 10/100 access to broadband here. Plug in and go both ends!

Mike (16)