Change from NUMERIS ISDN to ADSL

After a wait of several years, ADSL broadband is becoming available in a couple of weeks time to my tiny commune of 160 inhabitants - yippeee!

My question is; Has anyone changed over from ISDN to Broadband and could give any tips or advice on how easy/difficult is was to set up. I assume I will need a broadband router for my home network. How much support do FT give and is the installation/changeover done on the same day?

Any other tips advice much appreciated.

Punch

I did this recently - the main hurdle was getting FT to convert the previous ISDN line to analogue - we decided to keep 2 analogue numbers and it took them a number of weeks to find an additional two wires in the village junction boxes . E.g ISDN takes two wires , so this pair can be reused used for the analogue line, but they needed to find another pair.

If you already have a router you can simply plug in an ADSL modem with ethernet output into it. Otherwise you can get a fully integrated ADSL modem + router e.g for wireless there is LINKSYS WAG54G, Netgear DG834G etc  which you can find in the large supermarkets (or cheaper on the web). France telecom will charge a fortune for a router, so probably best to buy it yourself.

regs
Richard

Thanks Richard 

I too will require two seperate lines as we have seperate numbers for fax and phone,and was wondering if ADSL could work with just the incoming pair that we have at present but obviously we will require another pair.

I will need a new router+modem so will look around for one rather than buy from FT. I remember how much they charged me for a NUMERIS modem a while back!

Paul

[quote]Thanks Richard I too will require two seperate lines as we have seperate numbers for fax and phone,and was wondering if ADSL could work with just the incoming pair that we have at present but obvious...[/quote]

" was wondering if ADSL could work with just the incoming pair that we have at present"  

In theory it would work with only 2 wires - there is plenty of bandwidth - then you could have a box to split out into a number of lines. However, the only way FT seems to do it is to run separate  pairs back to the exchange for each analogue line.

regs

Richard

[quote]When i have Numeris installed (no ADSL unfortunately) do i have to buy the Numeris modem from France Telecom or are there cheaper options elsewhere? If so, where and approx how much?[/quote]

You can either use a modem, or look for an "ISDN router"  Other suppliers of modems and routers include Eicon , and for ISDN routers there is Eicon (good basic model is DIVA 1830) or "Allied Telesyn" , but due to ADSL these are not high volume items and thus tend to be expenseive new , so as suggested best to try and pick them up on e-bay as many people are throwing them away as they convert to ADSL.

regs

Richard

Dear Paul,

We changed to ADSL with Wanadoo in July and it was very straightforward - apart from a problem on the installation CD if you opted for a USB connection to the PC. Wanadoo ADSL support quickly talked us through the solution and this has now probably been fixed on later CDs.

After knowing that ADSL was available in our commune, we rang our local FT office - Villeneuve sur Lot, who checked the suitability of our line - within two days they had activated it.

With a trip to the office we purchased an Inventel DW-B200 WiFi router with one extra USB WiFi connector for 69 Euros - on promo at the time, and no doubt the experts will say that the Inventel box does not compare with others, but for us it does the job - stunning speed and available all the time.

Kind regards,

Bob Clarke
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/grindoux

I will need a new router+modem so will look around for one rather than buy from FT. I remember how much they charged me for a NUMERIS modem a while back!   (quote)

Yes, 149euros at FT.  Another shock, we recently had a big storm and my Numeris box blew, knocking out the phone lines, and blowing the modem.  FT sent me a bill for 210euros to replace the box, and I had to buy a new modem. Apparently, I am supposed to disconnect the box from the wall during a storm?.  Fine - what about if I am out at the time?  Are we supposed to disconnect every time we leave the house - just in case!!   So - that storm cost me 359 euros, and a trip to Perigueux for the new modem.  Not to mention being without phone lines and internet for 3 days until FT turned up.

The joys of living in rural France

[quote]Dear Paul, We changed to ADSL with Wanadoo in July and it was very straightforward - apart from a problem on the installation CD if you opted for a USB connection to the PC. Wanadoo ADSL support quic...[/quote]

Thanks Bob and to all other helpfull replies.

I've been given a date of 1st october for availablity of ADSL here so hopefully can make the changover smoothly with this additional info. I assume Bob you bought your Wifi router from FT? Does this mean you have a wireless connection between Pc's in your house or am I barking up the wrong tree?

regards

Paul

Just a quickie on Surge Protectors - you really need to protect the mains and phone lines - only the more expensive surge protectors protect the phone line connections. Make sure also that you get leads with the right connections - most phone cables use the RJ11 mini plugs (like you see connecting the phone handset to the phone) but some of the surge protectors use slightly larger RJ45 network-type connectors.

Dear Paul,

We have our main PC which is in the office, in a separate outbuilding connected to the Inventel box via a USB cable. The second PC in the office uses the plug-in wireless connector in a USB socket. The third family PC in the house is connected with a 30m RJ45 network cable that we bought from Expansys together with an Ethernet card for the family machine. The other end plugs into an RJ45 socket in the Inventel box.

It all works very well with all three machines having access at the same time.

Despite other postings knocking FT and their prices, I feel that 69Euros for the box and one wireless adaptor is hardly expensive. You also have one source of support in the case of problems, rather than two if you have bought your own hardware.

Kind regards,

Bob Clarke
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/grindoux