WIN XP Service Pack 2

[quote]I was wondering, did Dell also inform you that MS won't give you phone support unless your PC is up to date? If you contact MS for help the first thing they do is ask for the build version and s/n the...[/quote]

Quillan - Hi

I run our business on Dell PC's and am also an MS partner - I have not run the auto download of SP2 as I already know some software I have will have a problem.  I recently loaded some brand new expensive software and now Outlook has a glitch - I need the software and managed to sort out the problem but is it worrying and I have a feeling that as this is very recently released software SP2 could add to my problems.

Next PC will be a Dell (next day on-site support for me meant what they said and I have to be up and running).  I run and test all sorts of obscure and odd software including the latest release stuff from MS and my problems are never with the hardware, so I am a Dell fan.

Each to their own and I also am waiting until I have to run SP2 - corporate clients have been given 8 months to make the change so I will follow their lead and leave time for the bugs to be ironed out.

[quote]Boggie - some of us use French Windows XP so might be interested in a French update package. The French updates etc always seem to be behind the English ones anyway. I think I'd prefer to wait and ...[/quote]

Will, there is a French version of Service pack 2. Our computer keeps crashing with various reasons displayed at the time and the Microsoft online crash analysis now say I need to install SP2.

A quick question for anyone please - it says I need to ' back up' all my files so I have duly bought a job lot of CDs. I haven't ever backed up files in English so I am having trouble in finding  the way in. All the instructions are in English and the our computer is in French. By following the instructions I get as far as Démarrer, panneau configuration, then performance and maintenance - but which is it after that? Nothing seems to match the image they show of the page I should be on! I don't want to make the situation worse by clicking on the wrong page.

I would be grateful for any help. Thanks