Which Computer?

Will be buying a new computer soon prior to our move to France for good. However which one?

I currently have a PC which has XP,Pentium 4, CD/DVD Rewriter however a few years old and I would like to update it.

I have thought about just getting a more upto date version of my PC with a TFT screen this time. Also like the idea of a Laptop so can bring it with me when/if we visit here and because we will  initially be living in a caravan on site or renting until our place is habitable, Centrino seems like a good idea but obviously it has its limitations regarding signals. Also like the look of Apple but don't really know much about them.

Any computer buffs out there that can help and give me some advice? Please Help! Husband is getting fed up because I cannot make up my mind and as far as he is concerned Computers just make very good paperweights!!!!

Thanks

Rita

Have a serious look at the new iMac - 64 bit processor etc., faster on a lot of tasks than any Pentium, small footprint, looks superb. The screen is brilliant. No software problems - Office etc all has Mac versions, Safari browser is much superior to IE. If you have to have PC software you can get an emulator. Oh, and no viruses, trojans, worms or adware...

The interface is far better than Windoze, and after a bit you will be much more productive, too.

http://www.apple.com/uk/imac/

If you are going to live remote, you should give thought to a laptop. When/if the power goes you can still work and as long as the phone line is up you can email and surf the the web.

The new imac looks good, also the ibook is a good machine and my powerbook as never let me down( now on my 4th)

From what you say, it sounds like your current PC with P4, Windows XP, CD and DVD re-writers is actually fairly well specified.

I think you need to decide whether a desktop machine or a laptop is going to suit you better – everyone’s needs are different.  Consider the pro’s and con’s of each:

A DESKTOP will be much cheaper than an equivalent specification laptop.  You’ll have a greater choice of processors / hard drive size / CD-DVD-RW drives / soundcards / TV cards etc.  You could specify the exact configuration you need through, for example, the Dell.co.uk website.  A desktop keyboard and mouse is easier to use (and you could easily change later to a French keyboard if you wanted).  It’s easy and cheaper to upgrade any component in a desktop PC.  You have the choice of monitor size and type.

The only real downside is the lack of portability.

A LAPTOP will give you much more freedom – you can you it anywhere, around the house, in the garden, take it with you when travelling.   With a Centrino processor model you can surf the internet and send emails from Wi-Fi hotspots (although you can also do this with any laptop if you buy a wireless network PCMCIA card for about £40 – a Centrino laptop gives better battery life as well as the built-in Wi-Fi ability).  You could also buy a GPRS mobile data card to allow you to send and receive emails if you wont have a phone line while living in your caravan.  Vodafone do a Pay As You Go one here for around £100 and the running costs are £4 per megabite.  Details at http://www.vodafone.co.uk/cgi-bin/COUK/portal/ep/browse.do?channelPath=%2FVodafone+Portal%2FBusiness+Services%2FVodafone+Mobile+Connect+Card&BV_SessionID=@@@@0685630618.1096210046@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccccadcmjdfdekgcflgcegjdgnfdffl.0

I assume one of the French networks will do something similar? - it would be more expensive to use a UK network card in France.

The main downsides of a laptop are the cost compared with an equivalent desktop, the inability to upgrade components (usually apart from RAM) easily.  Hard drive sizes are generally around 30-40GB compared with up to around 200GB on a desktop.  (Video editing takes up a lot of hard drive space).  It may be costly to have the keyboard changed to a French one.

A couple of articles in the November issue (what happened to the summer?!) of “Computer Buyer” may be of interest.  There’s a group test review of Centrino laptops and also a group test of £900 desktop PCs.

If you decide on a laptop, give consideration to the weight of the model.  A lot of laptops use standard desktop type processors which give you a fast processor for your money but make the machine heavy compared with a model with a mobile processor.  Battery performance is not as good on a desktop processor model.

I have never used an Apple – they certainly look smart.  I believe you have to use software specifically designed for Apple, so if you already have, for example, Microsoft Office for your PC, you’d have to buy a new copy.

Don’t let your husband force you into making a quick decision – remember computers get better and cheaper the longer you wait!

You do need Mac versions of Microsoft software. However, if you can arrange some sort of educational link (teacher, student, administrator) you can get very hefty discounts. The latest version of Office is for Mac, not Windoze, and is very very good. The only things you can't get are Access (use FileMaker) and Publisher (if that still exists).

Hi

We've recently been trying to help people connect up UK apple laptops to French ADSL. It was a struggle.

My first PC was a Wang PC. In 1981, the IBM PC was eagerly awaited.

Well, I've got it wrong pretty consistently ! Wouldn't have windows, didn't like using a mouse, and would never have a laptop (low spec, funny keyboard, monochrome screen, etc).

Recently I've bought a laptop to use for work. Yes, the keyboard is a bit awkward........ but to be able to work outside in the shade is a great benefit. And I know when I arrive at a client it will work, whereas memory stick & CD may be thwarted by wrong software, language settings, screen settings, etc etc.

And these days laptops have fairly equivalent specs, and are much cheaper than previously. But I still plug in a mouse (got converted to windows, mouse, etc around 1988 !).

So I'd say : think about a PC laptop.

Peter

Hi Rita

I'm also wondering why if you already have a Pentium 4 with Windows XP you want to update - try running Windows Task Manager (right click on the taskbar at the bottom of the screen when task manager comes up check CPU usage on the performance tab) and seeing how little you're using your processor. Pentium 4s are still current and processor speeds are creeping up much more slowly than they did 2 or 3 years ago. If you think your PC is slow and you're on-line a lot chances are it'll be your internet connection that's slow, not the PC.

I'd suggest you save your cash and buy a UPS to protect you from lightning and power cuts (I'd suggest something like an APC Cyberfort http://www.apcc.com/products/family/index.cfm?id=38), and a flat screen monitor (250 - 300 euros).  If you're already a PC user I'd avoid Macs too - sorry Mac fans. Laptops too are nice if you absolutely need portability but if anything goes wrong it's back to base for repairs, warranty or not.