Sky viewing cards

I'm sorry, I'm sure this has been asked before but I've searched the archives and I can't see an answer to my question.

I have a second digital box and satellite dish that I'm planning to take over to our holiday home in Pas de Calais. I had intended to take my sky viewing card with me every time I went but I've been reading through the archives and am now a bit worried. I've read that the sky viewing card doesn't always work for a few hours or even up to a couple of days if it's removed from the box. As we usually only go for five days at a time this could cause a problem. Also, I don't think my partner would be too pleased if he couldn't watch his favourite sports channel on our return.

Has anybody come across this problem or is there someone who can put my mind at rest?

Lene

As far as i am aware taking the card over to france will not on its own lose its registration in a short period. However I am almost certain that Sky cards are box specific and will not work in a different box. The only solution would be to take the sky card and its own box across each time.

The sky digibox will receive all the BBC channels and about 30 other nondescript channels without a card . So you may need to settle for that.

Bob

[quote]I heard that Free to View cards would work in any box and only subscription cards were box specific. Mazan could confirm this..........John in Dept 79[/quote]

You are correct! Free to view cards do! I have tried pay to view and free to view in the past and they did not work in other boxes, however having just tried it, the free to view does work, can anyone confirm if the pay to view are transferable now?

All cards work in all boxes for all channels except the premium sport and film channels, and ITV2.

Cards left unused for long periods (weeks) will forget their authorisation but this will return after a few hours or days in a box.

The phone connection is only checked if you have a second Sky "multiroom" subscription at a reduced price.

We took our Sky subscription card over to France a few weeks ago, and used it in the box over there. All the channels in our package worked fine from the off.....except for ITV2, which struck me as odd. The 'on-screen' message said 'wrong card type inserted', or something similar.

Anyway....I phoned Sky to query it...not mentioning, of course, that we were in France.... I was asked to go into 'system setup' via the remote, and then to read out the box serial number from the 'system details' section. 'Ah' says the nice lady, 'we've got a different box registered, you must have your card in another one....'.

'That's right' I replied. All she did was send a signal (apparently) to the card, ITV2 started working 30 minutes later...and that was that, no awkward questions at all. Odd thing is, I expected to come home and have a similar problem, but everything works fine.

Pete

• 2 weeks later...
Many thanks to all those who replied to my question. The info has been very helpful. We aren't that worried whether we get all the Sky channels as long as we get some British TV. We've been without TV in France for 3 years now and another winter of playing scrabble (and losing to my other half) has stopped filling me with excitement!