There is no real cut-off point in that the possible speed just gets lower and lower the further away you are from the DSLAM. At the moment the distance for useful ADSL speed varies around about 5 km and 65db. Online tests generally report only on FT's calculated figures, based on line length, not on actual data measurements. I'm on 4km and 41db and have a maximum rate of 4mbits.

Next year ADSL2+ will be widely rolled out and this should put the limit up to about 8km. Users nearer to the DSLAM will note spectacular speed improvements (if the ISP offers it).

Few modems sold previously are compatible with ADSL2+ and so a small investment may be needed. Anyone getting ADSL now should try and get an ADSL2+ compatible modem.

Wow ! this is the first I've heard of ADSL 2 ... tell me more. Does it hold out real hope for those of us out in the sticks ?

Although since my line is reporting (degrouptest.com) 6281 metres and 64.69 db I suspect I'm lucky to have an analogue service let alone anything with digits!

paul

I'm at 3.8Km and on 43.47db (which I think is a calculate figure as it is always identical) which gives me the ADSL Max capability (though I’ve only gone for a 1024/128 link). However, I have had loads of problems with loss of service (sometimes for a few hours, sometimes for a few days). Whenever FT have tested the line (during loss of ADSL service), it has been “within specifications”. I had a FT engineer round yesterday (having given them a real "ear-bashing") and he could use his mobile to measure not only the Affaiblissement but also the noise level. When he arrived it was 14 (which was within spec.) but he went round disconnecting all the unused wires on all the sockets and he then reckoned that the noise improved to 22. trouble is, when he was here it was all working fine.

One thing I have noticed is that often the actual performance when browsing the internet is more limited by the site you are looking at (or maybe the route to that site – who knows). Fine, with greater speeds you can do several things at once (downloads, browse, e-mail, etc.), but I guess with higher “browser connection speeds”, people providing servers will need to start putting in a bit more investment. I don’t know how widely people are using the higher link speeds for TV, Video, etc. I know at 1024/128 I can listen to the radio and browse without problems. I don’t know if its just me but this particular forum is actually quite slow and on several occasions I have had “time-out” errors reported (- which is not me being critical as after all it is free).

6km and 65+db is just the sort of user who stands to gain from ADSL2+. With any luck you should be able to get 512kbits.

As for noise level it's vital with ADSL to fit a filter on every socket that is in use (not forgetting alarms etc.) and to ensure that all plugs, sockets and wires are in good condition. You should also avoid using phone extension cables, adaptors and any other such item that enters the signal loop. The most DIY-minded may also want to remove the capacitor that FT often fit in the entry point distribution box.

ADSL 2+ extends the reach of ADSL by 5-10%, this part of the technology is also known as RE-ADSL (Reach Extended...). FT have commited to upgrade all existing DSLAMs to ADSL2 by the first half of next year.

It's worth noting that BT dropped *all* length limits on 512kb ADSL in September after a trial showing a 10km reach was easily possible in most cases. But there may be differences in the size of the copper wire etc between the UK and Drance.

ADSL isn't avaialble here just yet, scheduled for early 2006. The deproup test resultfor the anaolgue line is
Longueur de ligne : 1050 mètres
Affaiblissement : 10.82 dB

Does this bode will or ill for next year? 

IE Which is good news  high or low Db ?