Outlook Express

The OS that we have is Win 2000 Professional. I managed to get rid of W/doo, with the help of 'Quillan'. I deleted the W/doo connection in the knowledge that if I did need it then I could reload it. I then used Network & Dial up Connections to manualy create a new connection. Took the option to connect via ADSL and when it asked for the number I put 'P8,35'. I know live in a W/doo free zone !!!

Can't get the same to happen on our laptop which is running XP though?

John.

[quote]The original problem is covered on Wanadoo's site, it is usually the result of an problem with an upgraded version of Outlook (I think 6); there is a "cure" which can be downloaded directly from the s...[/quote]

I am surprised and delighted to find this thread - I thought it was my computer idiocy that was causing my problems. Hopefully one of the wonderful techno people on here can help me.

I have wanadoo ASDL. I too have the problem of the password logging on/creating new account when I log on - but the new account always disappears when I shut down OE, so I can live with that (irritating but managable). I've spent hours in the wanadoo help pages, I've downloaded the 'cure', tried to download it again when there was no change but my computer told me I already had it, so I gave up on that problem.

My REAL problem is I desperately need to set up a second email address at wanadoo (I know I can have four) but wanadoo won't let me! Whether I go into Configuration to do it, or into Mon Compte in wanadoo.fr, when I click onto Create a new message box I get the Error message: "Sorry, you are trying to access a page reserved for wanadoo account holders". A French friend who also has wanadoo ASDL has tried to help me (over the phone) but he cannot work out why I'm having the problem - on his computer he gets the Error message when he's signed in as one of the secondary users, but not when he's signed in as the principle person.

I am logging in with the email address I started with (ie the principle user, the only email address I've got) and with the original password wanadoo issued to me (I haven't changed it). I can get everything else in my account, all my personal details, bank account etc, but can't create another email address.

I wrote to wanadoo, they explained about only the principle user creating a new account (which is what I thought I was, and what I was doing) and they've given me a phone number for technical help - the trouble is my French is not good enough for a technical help phone call.

Can anyone suggest what I'm doing wrong? And what I can do to solve it? What is the McAfee that Pucette hadn't configured properly? Could that be my problem? As you will have gathered, my computer knowledge is very basic, so any help has to be in simple language please! Here's hoping, with all fingers and toes crossed.....

[quote]The OS that we have is Win 2000 Professional. I managed to get rid of W/doo, with the help of 'Quillan'. I deleted the W/doo connection in the knowledge that if I did need it then I could reload it. I...[/quote]

Hello John,

I tried your method, deleted Wanadoo & tried to set a new connection, but when I select 'broadband connection' I get told I already have a broadband connection! Also, there is no space to enter a phone number, except when you select the configure a dial up connection.  Did you selct 'dial up' and enter the P8,35 in the space for phone number?

Regards,

Bob

I hav been unable to create a 2nd e-mail address (with a similar. It might take a few phone calls (to their Premium rate number) error message to that described above) and thus can offer no hints on what to do.

However, due to my ADSL problems and having poor French language skills, I have found that there are some people at Wanadoo technical help who speak pretty good English. The “trick” is to call when they are not too busy and one of those who speak English is available.

The other people I have found helpful (though they are not Wanadoo) are the France Telecom English speaking service. Their telephone number is 0800 364 775 (9:00 to 17:30 – though they are quite busy and have no queuing system for calls so can be difficult to get through to).

(Ian here)

It may be that device and Operating System differences are have an effect here (I don't know because I have experience of only my one configuration). On my system I have not deleted the Wanadoo connection but added a 2nd "standard Windows" connection. Thus under my Broadband connections I have the Wanadoo one and one new I have created.

When I set it up (a few months ago no so my memory fades on exact details), I was not prompted for a phone number (or I just entered nothing). I am using a Thomson Speedtouch 510 Ethernet ADSL modem.

Hi Bob,

"Did you selct 'dial up' and enter the P8,35 in the space for phone number?"

Yes that was the route I took and it was straight forward from there. Where it tells you that you have a connection I just selected the ADSL 'modem' and went on from there. If you have deleted the W/doo connection and you have no other showing on your 'Network and Dial-up Connections' then I'm not sure why it shows one in the Wizard?

John.

Thanks 11 - firstly for having the same problem, so nice not being alone (or the complete dolt I had assumed I was) and secondly for the France telecom English speaking helpline number. I've made a note of it and will try that if the techno wizards on here can't help. Perhaps I should say I have a Windows XP laptop, the wanadoo eXtense modem and everything was set up with the disc. There's not a hope of me 'bypassing' wanadoo and configuring anything manually, so I've got to stick with the wanadoo software - there must be a way of solving this seconday email problem, other people have more than one wanadoo email address!