Why is my souris sticking?

I used to clean the rollers with a cotton-bug dipped in acetone which did a fine job but was fiddly, and didn't effect any more permanent a solution than my current route which is to pick the fluff (well, more like a gunge of dust, grease and dead skin cells if I'm honest) off the rollers with a finger nail.  I have a little optical mouse with my laptop which is fabulous - works on almost any surface (even the side of a leg when you're working with it on your knee) but for my big pc I'm stuck with needing a trackball because I have no space at all at the side of the keyboard to roll a mouse.

paul

I used to have the official IBM routine for cleaning 'mouses balls', but that must have been in a former life when I was an IBM hardware service engineer? Are we allowed to say 'mouses balls' on here?

John.

P.S. I've also got a copy of the words and music for the 'Official IBM Song' too. Good 'eer init.

You'd think none of us had jobs to be getting on with: I've got pots full of geraniums to clear out, bulbs to put in, 2 trees-worth of logs to cut, stack, and split; yet I'm sitting here with my 3rd coffee of the day rummaging round the forum.

I'll be whingeing when it's raining!

paul 

"Make it catfood then get yourself an optical mouse - the Microsoft Intellimouse is excellent, I'm on my 4th ( a wireless one). Never hesitates or sticks and works on any surface."

hi Dick
Seeing as nobody else mentioned it, are you just heavy handed or don't the MS ones last long ?

"Seeing as nobody else mentioned it, are you just heavy handed or don't the MS ones last long ?"

I think they last longer than most (except my Apple mouse, which seems to go on forever, but has no buttons).

No 1 went 'clicky' after about 2 years, so I replaced it.

No 2 went away with the computer it was attached to (given to son)

No 3 just went away - no idea where - when I got

No 4 - a wireless one, bought as an upgrade.

The Apple mouse is slightly smoother, but lacks a scroll wheel. The other plus point about the Intellimice is that they are very ergonomic. I use a 'standard' MS mouse at work, and it is nowhere near as comfortable.

I'd second the point about the Intellimouse - I have a USB one that I use with Win2K and XP as well as with OS X and it's great! Apple copes wonderfully with the 3 buttons and the wheel - one wonders why they still ship with a one button mouse when all the underlying tech is there