Centrino Processor & Wireless Internet Access

I know this is nothing to do with France but I have searched on Google and not come up with an answer.

I recently bought an Acer laptop with an intel centrino processor.  This replaced my previous laptop which broke down after 10 weeks but did not have a centrino processor - hence I used one of the card slots to install wireless - to connect to my wireless network.  It was really easy - I plugged in the card and it immediately installed itself, picked up my network and connected to the internet without me having to put in any settings.  However, with the new laptop with intel centrino i.e. integrated wireless although it picks up the wireless network it will not connect to the internet.  Does anyone know how I set it up to connect to the internet via my normal wireless route please.  I have temporarily given up trying to get through to the Acer helpline since they are either out to lunch or too busy to take calls.  How frustrating!

I live in hope that a technophile member might be able to help me?

Thanks in advance!

Valerie

Valerie

There could be a number of reasons:

1.  Is the network secured in anyway, do you need to input your mac address or a wep key?

2.  Has it issued an IP address or do you need to do this manually?

3.  Are you sure it cannot access the internet, it could be your dns settings?

I know this is all a bit techie, but I don't know what experience you have.

Regards

Simon

I agree with Simon, I think it sounds more like a DNS problem however.
I'm working on the assumption tht the machine is running windows of some sort, anyway:

You will need the IP adress of your default gateway - this might be another computer with internet sharing enabled, or a router (the thing that connects to the internet anyway!) Once you have that, you'll need to go to start> control panel> network connections. Once there, right click on your wireless network icon, and choose properties. Then double click on Internet Protocol TCP/IP.  You should be faced with something looking fairly similar to this  (sorry for the size!) - what you might want to do is change the setting so you have a static IP adress that follows on from the gateway - so for example your gateways IP is 192.168.0.1, click the "use following IP adress" box, and type 192.168.0.2, with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and the defauly gateway being the adress you found earlier. Ignore the DNS settings, one of the quirks of windows is that it will work without DNS!
if thats not the problem, then post back!
Tim

The fastest way to see if dns is not working is to put this address 212.58.224.35 into internet explorer's address bar this should give you the bbc website.  If it comes up dns is down, if it does not then look elsewhere for the problem.

Regards

Simon

Not everybody uses Internet Explorer - in fact, according to my logs, the vast amount of people who have looked at that image don't!

Anyway, like ai said, windows is quirky in so much as you can browse theweb without having to configure DNS. You do however need to configure TCP/IP properly, so my mistake for saying it might be a DNS problem, when it's more likely to be a TCP/IP problem - sorry on that count.

Hi there Simon and Time,

I eventually managed to sort out the problem - Acer didn't help but the help and support centre of Windows XP offered this advice on network problems which miraculously sorted out the problem - hooray!

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
  2. In Open, type:
    cmd
  3. Click OK.
  4. At the command prompt, type:
    ipconfig /release
  5. Press ENTER.
  6. At the command prompt, type:
    ipconfig /renew
  7. Press ENTER.
    Thanks for your help anyhow.

Take care!  Valerie