Does anyone know if there is an equivalent outlet to PC world in France, if so what are they called so that we can check if there is one near to us.

Our printer is on its last legs (can't complain, its around 5 years old) and we're thinking of buying one of the new 3 in 1 types which incorporate scanning, printing, etc.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hazel 

All of the large supermarkets/hypermarkets sell printers at very good prices and I have seen 3-in-1's. There is also Viking Direct in France who sell at good prices from their brochure - I am sure that they will have a website.

Personally, from my experience with PC World in the UK and the hypermarkets here for this sort of thing, I would buy either from someone like Viking or from a (fairly) local hypermarket. After sales service can seem like a 'foreign' concept in France and as far as I am concerned was not always recognised in some PC World stores in the UK - put the two together...

Hope you get what you are looking for.

Hazel,

Yes, PC World is in France – it’s called PC City in France (and in Spain, Italy and Sweden).  The shops look the same as the UK ones and they offer the same services – only the signs are different! 

There are seven branches – the addresses are on their website http://www.pccity.fr/home.htm

It looks as if their website is still under construction as it only shows a couple of products in each category.

If you’re looking for a new all-in-one printer, as well as comparing the features and cost of different printers, it’s worth comparing the running costs.  For example, how much are the cartridges, how many pages do they print, can you refill the cartridges, do you have to buy the manufacturer’s original cartridges?

Di mentioned Viking Direct – here’s a link to their all-in-one printers http://www.vikingdirect.fr/(fqsrpvecyulcp055uqu3qwrd)/catalogsubcategory.aspx?id=712001&cid=100

[quote]Does anyone know if there is an equivalent outlet to PC world in France, if so what are they called so that we can check if there is one near to us. Our printer is on its last legs (can't complain, i...[/quote]

PC world in France trades as PC City. It is fairly recent in France, but it is the exact same company right down to the logo type and the purple staff T Shirts, store layout and products. They also seem to have a number of Brits working for them, well at least in the ones around Paris. Currently there are only around 7 or 8 stores so not sure if there is one near you. http://www.pccity.fr

A cheaper alternative is to buy online. E.g I've used www.surcouf.fr, www.grosbill.fr , www.fnac.fr, www.cdiscount.fr without problem. These are not the cheapest , but they are generally cheaper than PC City.

regs

Richard

Thanks everybody for your help. We had tried the hypermarkets first but were looking for somewhere with a larger choice.

It was interesting to learn about PC CIty - unfortunately not one near us at the moment but we will keep an eye on their site. Viking Direct have been a big help though, as we have been able to buy a part for our existing printer, which we thought was beyond repair.

Thanks again

Hazel