VCD is a Video CD - err

OK, I am about to receive a VCD. It seems this only plays on machines that play Video CD's - now I have had a mooch around the shops and not even all new DVD players state that they play these. It will not be a great loss if I cannot play it BUT there is almost nothing on the net about this 'new' innovation.

Can anyone tell me please when this ruddy new technology came in and do I need a new CD or DVD player to play it. No, I am not going out to buy a new player just to play one ruddy DVD UNLESS the whole world is about to change to this method. I have seen machines that play these things in France so hence my question here.

Bemused of Aubiac

Hi Di

You could always just try bunging it in your computer (if you have a CD or DVD drive and a video card) as Windows Media Player should be able to play VCDs.

It's not exactly new technology, as the MPEG 1 format that VCDs use was developed in the 90's, it's just that (like laser disks) it is mainly used in Asian countries.

Good luck

[quote]Di When you get some spare time you might want to have a look at:- http://www.videohelp.com/ Should explain a few things.... and maybe raise a few more questions too.[/quote]

Thanks George/Cat, it makes a little more sense now. It is amazing how much I keep finding out and also amazing how much help I get from this site.