So, we are still in line to get ADSL per the report :

-------------------------------------------------------

Ligne testée : N/D : Données du cache

Caractéristiques de la ligne :

Code Commutateur Local : BOI34 [Couverture]

Nom Commutateur Local : BOI - BOISSERON

Longueur de ligne : 2836 mètres

Affaiblissement : 42.54 dB

[Estimation] Débit descendant ADSL : 3800 kbps (475 ko/s)

[Estimation] Débit descendant ADSL 2+ : 6092 kbps (762 ko/s)

Caractéristiques IP/ADSL :

Plaque ADSL : LANG-1

Date d'ouverture ADSL : 02/03/2005

----------------------------------------------------------

The lady in my local shop tells me she has confirmed the date with FT. And now I think about it it is only 1 week away.

So what do I do now ? We are not degrouped (whatever that means).

I'm not keen on going back to Wanadoo after 4 years. Can I just get AOL, Tele2, etc and subscribe using their modem ?

Or am I locked into using Wanadoo ?

Peter

In most ADSL areas you will have a choice of suppliers. Its just that in the main population centres  economic for some providers  to have their own networks (degrouped networks) which allow a wider choice of faster and or cheaper packages which usually include phone as well as net services. In the rural areas they just buy capacity wholesale and retail their own services using the FT network. You will probably find all the usual suspects Tele2, Cegetel, Wanadoo, Tiscali will be available.

The Degrouptest site is not easy to understand.

In areas like yours (non-degrouped and of less than 20,000 lines) you can get the IP/ADSL offer.

This currently includes (but is not limited to) Wanadoo, AOL, Club-Internet, Tiscali, Free, Cegetel etc. All areas with any form of ADSL always have at least these providers as the IP/ADSL offer by definition covers all ADSL areas that aren't degrouped. There are no exceptions though for technical reasons Tiscali may not register as being available.

Tele2 and Neuf currently have no non-degrouped offer and as such are not available in your area.

Hi

because the ADSL has not arrived yet, it is probably too current.

The degrouptest site says IMPOSSIBLE for all suppliers including FT / Wanadoo. However, this website http://www.adsl-facile.com suggests that I can have non degroupe services from N9UF & Tiscali.

Peter

because the ADSL has not arrived yet, it is probably too current.

That is certainly true. In fact it can take several days after the ADSL is actually on at the exchange for the FT/Wanadoo database to be updated. Until then other ISPs can't update their databases either. So don't expect the other ISPs databases to give you a "yes" until anything up to 10 days later.

However, this website http://www.adsl-facile.com suggests that I can have non degroupe services from N9UF & Tiscali.

You will find that the site is wrong.

The offers listed on the neuf telecom website include:

En zone non dégroupée
 Débit descendant (récupération de données depuis l'Internet jusqu'à votre ordinateur)Débit montant (envoi de données depuis votre ordinateur vers Internet)
neuf telecom 2MégaJusqu'à 2048 KbpsJusqu'à 128 Kbps
neuf telecom 512KJusqu'à 512 KbpsJusqu'à 128 Kbps

You're quite right. Neuf have obviously started doing IP/ADSL again, and very recently too I think. They scrapped the whole lot early last year. They may have brought it back in due to the recent announcement of wholesale price cuts made by FT that come into effect next month.

It just goes to show that you can't stop watching this business for an instant. Hardly a week goes by without the availability, speeds and prices changing. Never a dull moment.

Your right about things changing fast. I signed up for BT 500k at the end of last month, a few days before they changed the package to 2mega (Grrr). Oh and they were then nearly two weeks late in providing .....

But as far as Leneuf are concerned I am just keeping my fingers crossed that they are still offering this package when we get ADSL later in the year. They seems to be quite generous in their no fee to join, small cancellation, no minimum contract requirements.

Its good to have that little extra  competition......

But as far as Leneuf are concerned I am just keeping my fingers crossed that they are still offering this package when we get ADSL later in the year. They seems to be quite generous in their no fee to join, small cancellation, no minimum contract requirements.

You won't find it anywhere on the website but Cegetel still do an almost identical offer of 512k for 15€ (when taking preselection) rising to 20€ after the first year with no minimum period and a 40€ (that's 5€ less than LeNeuf) sign-out fee. You can only get this from Cegetel if you ring them and ask. I think that technically Cegetel are marginally better than LeNeuf.

Two advantages of Cegetel: their unlimited phone offer for 10€ is for regular phone calls and not VOIP calls (LeNeuf, Tiscali and Wanadoo all offer ADSL + VOIP), and the customer service number is Freephone, unlike all other ISPs that I know of in France. Given how much time you may need to spend on the phone with Cegetel CS this can mean a big saving.