XP pro sp2 in English-french AOL

A question for all you computer buffs,unfortunately i'm not one.I have a computer which has XP home in English, and AOL 9 French system runs ok, not perfect but ok for e-mail etc.I now have a system which has XP pro sp2 and I cannot get aol to run on it.I have loaded it in safe mode and it seemed ok but as soon as it tries to find the modem it crashes. In safe mode  Aol cannot find the modem and on checking in windows the modem is operating correctly etc.

Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance

This is how I see it

You have another computer that you have installed AOL onto from a AOL disc and nothing

In safe mode you wont be able to access the modem

What I would do here is now re install modem driver and then see if AOL finds it

Or, in the device manager unistall modem and then refresh device manager (right click my computer/properties/ hardware/device.....) this should re-do the modem

Is the modem internal or external, if external was it installed whilst disconnected - ie.software first, if not this may be a problem

Dont think that being french or english makes any difference.

Does it have a firewall installed? although a modem should be recognised

A bit difficult when not at computer so apologies if of no use.

Many thanks for reply-I tried as you suggested and no difference-I re-loaded AOL with windows changed to French in the language bar and keyboard just in case it had something to do with entry language but when the sequence gets to looking for a means of connection to AOL it searches  for a few seconds and then crashes.The guy at AOL said that I would need to buy a french version of xp pro and run french and English on the computer but I would not have thought that this was neccesary, or do they have a seperate system for each language? The modem is internal and I removed it in control panel,re-booted and the system recognised it as plug and play and the drivers are listed etc.do you think it would be worth contacting aol UK? I do have a firewall (Panda) but I switched it off.

Once again, thanks for your help

Joric

Hi Joric

Did you know that AOL have issued a patch for Windows XP SP2, to rectify known problems?

http://www.aol.co.uk/about/help/faqs/windows_sp2.html

It might not be a lot of use to you right now, if you cannot get AOL to install though.

The only thing I can suggest (although it might be more bother than it's worth) is to use Add/Remove programs in the Control Panel to remove XP SP2, and then try installing AOL 9. (To be on the safe side make sure you have a back-up or restore file saved somewhere safe, just in case it all goes pear shaped).

If this doesn't work then it's not SP2 that's at fault, and must be a problem local to your PC.

If it does work, download and install the AOL XP SP2 patch. (EDITED, whoops, just remembered that you can't install the patch until you after you've re-installed XP SP 2).

Lastly re-install XP2, and install the AOL XP SP2 patch, it may all just work now.

To be honest I cant see what difference it makes wether XP is french or UK

Are you sure the modem is ok, try it if you can in another machine, how old is the modem, see if any new drivers are available, you might need to install modems own drivers anyway rather than have windows use default ones, also another thought, in device manager again try changing the com port in the advance port settings, port 3?