Broadband - Apple

I am still going round in circles trying to get a wireless broadband connection for my Apple laptop. Can anyone please suggest a French provider? Our phone line is good for broadband but as soon as I mention Apple they just go non, non, non.

Thanks

Diana

Le Jars

I have just checked with the technical department (my son) and yes it does have an Airport card. 15” Powerbook running 10.3. For the UK I bought a Netgear router and Zen provide the service and everything works very nicely. Just want the same in France so any any advice you can give I will appreciate.

Thanks

Diana

When they say Apple, No No. What they mean is they do not give support. So its no use phoning them up. I had the same issue with BT when BB was first launched in England. As long has to have an ADSL router you will be fine.

Richard.

G4 17" PowerBook and proud of it.

Hi Diana, I've been with Wanadoo and their adsl deal since I got here (a year). I want to go wireless using Airport but haven't had time to do it yet, so I might have to get some tips from you

I have a G3 laptop and a G4 Mac which I need to get airport cards (and an antenna thingy) for.

Do check who (which ISPs) can provide you with Broadband coverage in France. If you live in a city then you will probably have complete choice. However, outside the cities (where there is broadband coverage) you may be more limited in your choice, some ISP providing no service, others providing limited speed choices and different costs to the cities).

Check on http://www.degrouptest.com/ (enter you phone number of postcode and it will tell you which ISPs offer which speeds in you location).

[quote]Do check who (which ISPs) can provide you with Broadband coverage in France. If you live in a city then you will probably have complete choice. However, outside the cities (where there is broadband ...[/quote]

I live out in the sticks and so can only get 512K broadband from wanadoo I have had no trouble after the first week or two partly me and partly this was a new exchange.The system is Wanadoo Extense and offers several speeds if you live in right place.It also includes usage with Mac OS! Try going on line to Wanadoo.fr and see what they say.

PS they do have a Wi Fi system as well

Are all you folks saying that AOL, Wanadoo etc when they say they don't support apple wireless they mean that they don't offer any technicle help? not that it won't work with an Apple?

I checked out the site which tells you who supplies broadband in this area, it seems Tiscali offer 1mb and someone else who I can't remember 4mb. I would think we would need to have new phone lines installed to replace the old 30 + year ones we have at present to make 4mb worthwhile.

When I do finally get to the bottom of this I will tell you what has worked.

Thanks

Diana