Spybot and DSO exploit

I  run spybot on my computer. Every time it runs it finds a problem called DSO exploit, fixes it, only for it to come up again next time I run spybot. I also have adaware running which has never found this problem. Is it in fact a problem and if so how can I get rid of it?

There's a program caled Winpatrol that was recommended to me and I've recently started using. It's very unobtrusive and is designed to help other spyware and anti-virus utilities, as well as provide protection in its own right, by monitoring the Windows startup menu. It looks as if it might help your problem through its 'delete on reboot' option. It's free to download (only about 800K) from http://www.winpatrol.com.

I have a patch called DSOSTOP.EXE which I downloaded from the organisation which discovered the worm/virus. Can't remember the name but a Google search on DSOSTOP should find them.

For most problems, I can highly recommend www.windowsbbs.com. they have a bunch of PC experts who can advise on sorting out even the most difficult problems. It is a free site and you can, if you wish, subscribe. I found it so useful that for the first time I hve subscribed to something on the internet as theri help has saved me both time and money.

• 2 months later...

Sorry to be thick, but I am not a computer expert, and I do not understand the replies.  I would be grateful for your assistance.

I am running windows XP with SP2, norton, and adaware.  As far as I can tell all are fully up to date.

I downloaded adaware following the kind instructions of Will the Conquerer in the FAQ section.  This was a success, so today I "gulped" and trusting the FAQ, downloaded spybot.

I read the manual, and did my first check.  There were seven red items, and two were clearly cookies which I asked spybot to deal with.  The other five were described as DSO Exploit, and related to registry changes in Windows Internet settings.

I have a slow dial up connection which connects at about 46; the machine seems to be working properly, but does sometimes seem to send a lot of data when I first connect, so much so that it takes ages to load the home page, and even longer to change to the BBC or this forum.

I have not asked spybot to deal with the five DSO Exploits yet, as I did not know if they were malicious, or whether they were a part of windows reporting faults back to Microsoft.  That is are these Microsoft settings, or are they malicious changes?

When I read the spybot pop up window, it just said there was a security hole in internet explorer, but it did not say that the registry had been changed by outside malicious means.

Should I ask spybot to deal with these registry entry changes, or should I leave them alone?  If you wish I can give the full spybot entries.

I also have a lot of tracking lines (green entries on spybot) but I cannot tell which ones to delete - any advice welcomed.

Kind regards and thanks in anticipation,

David

Just let spybot delete the DSO exploit entries however, they will keep returning, I understand that this is a problem related to Internet Explorer. I think you will have to do what I do, just delete them when they appear. I started off running Spybot, Adaware and them AVG once a week but after a month or two there seemed to be less problems so now I run them about once a month. You can delete all the Spybot tracking entries but they are no too damaging so SB shows them in green.

Hi, I am learning about these computers!

I did a google search for "dso exploit" and all was explained.

Apparently if you are running the latest Internet explorer, and it is up to date, then the dso exploit has been repaired, and is not a problem.

The problem is with spybot which keeps reporting it as a problem.  Spybot is being fixed, and the latest version of spybot apparently overcomes this - it reports the apparent problem with dso exploit once only.

I will run it again and see, but i now know that dso exploit is not a problem on my computer, but is a spybot problem.